Update on Tequila

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
PlumsMom, I can't find anybody even close to me who is willing to guarantee bird safety. I'm wondering about buying touch-up paint from a reputable dealer...

CoopedUp, that's a good-looking cage. I had a wrought iron one, powder coated, before that was fine. I think from that same company.

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
I don't think Tequila was poisoned from the cage itself, but the dust and crap on it from storage in the factory. I didn't realise you had to give it a scrub with vinegar. So I think you should be ok if you always give a new cage a good clean and get one that's powder coated. Then just make sure it doesn't flake or anything.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, wow, okay, what a relief...
Geeee, it's just so scary... making a change... any change!

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island

Lol yeah this is a really long post. Somebody had posted a link to another thread, and there bird has metal toxicity from whatever was in the factory and had settled on the cage itself.
So as long as you scrub it with vinegar and keep it maintained you should be fine cage wise:)

You have to be so careful with our little babies!!!! So sensitive!!!

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Just a small point folks - I have recently purchased a Montana for Plum and as well as being filthy inside the box, the bubble wrap was grey, the coating has also flaked a little. This is only on the outside at screw points but I will be watching as a consequence.

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
Just a small point folks - I have recently purchased a Montana for Plum and as well as being filthy inside the box, the bubble wrap was grey, the coating has also flaked a little. This is only on the outside at screw points but I will be watching as a consequence.

Thats terrible!!! Ive ordered Tequilas so just waiting for it now.

An update on little miss. She finished her medication yesterday and didn't eat much today:( i weighed her tonight and she was 375grams. Shes usually 395grams. She atleast ate some chop tonight but i topped her up and syringe fed her abit.

I hope she starts eating properly :(

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
FYI, as for new cage toxicity, this applies to even stainless steel cages. Even US-made!
Part of that gunk helps protect the cage in storage!

Jess, that last photo is priceless! The evil eye of, 'I will get even'!!

Last edited:

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
Hi Jess, I'm joining this late and read thru the original post and this one. WOW! You've been through a lot as well as Tequila. I'm glad to see things are improving. As for Tequila, that look is like a teenager not wanting to be seen in the car with Mom or Dad. So uncool, where's her mansion, lol. I'm still waiting for a new cage to get here and I'll be inspecting it very closely and I'm going to take it outside and hose it down but scrub it with a soft bristle brush and Dawn soap. Does Tequila like being outside her cage and behaves? I ask because my Venus loves her play top and she hasn't been inside her cage in a month. She's sitting on her fake eggs still but she stays up there in her box. If Tequila is good, maybe she'll come out and won't look so "uncool", lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
I work full time so Tequila is in her cage during the day. When I come home I let her out and she either sits on my shoulder or she sits on top of her cage. Sometimes she's naughty and flys off and harasses our poor dog!!

Lol after I took the photo I let her out haha. She got even by pooping on the desk.

coopedup

Apr 8, 2016
CA
Parrots
7y/o eclectus Wrangler

Lol yeah this is a really long post. Somebody had posted a link to another thread, and there bird has metal toxicity from whatever was in the factory and had settled on the cage itself.
So as long as you scrub it with vinegar and keep it maintained you should be fine cage wise:)

You have to be so careful with our little babies!!!! So sensitive!!!

I assume vinegar has something to do with changing the Ph of metals? What's the difference between cleaning with bleach/water solution and vinegar? Also, Im seeing where it is recommended that toys be soaked in a mild bleach solution and sun dried prior to giving them to your fid, especially if they are not in packaging (ie: bird store, bird show vendor, etc) and have been around birds. I don't want to be paranoid, but I also want to be able to understand where the risks really are. I dont want to lose my bird to ignorance. So when do you use vinegar as a cleaning agent, and when should you use bleach?

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
I never use bleach on anything my bird will use. Vinegar or dish soap works well. Sun drying is great for toys. Simple, natural, easy.

OP
jess.reco

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
My vet recommended the vinegar with warm water. Yeah I think it adjusts the PH of the metals.

I agree with LeakP and Plumsmum, I would NEVER use bleach on anything for my parrot. F10 is the way to go for disinfecting if you want something stronger. You can get that from your vet or parrot shops.

Most Reactions

Latest posts