Upleasantly surprised w/ baby goffin

bambam

Oct 15, 2012
Hbei everyone,

I'm brand new here and joined this forum because I figured there would be someone that culd help me out. Let me start off by saying that I am a bird lover and I've had my greenwing macaw (bam bam) for 10 years, so I'm not new to the bird world. Here's the situation: I've been talking to my husband (of 2 yrs) about adding a second bird to our family because I want another one and bam bam really enjoys the company of other birds. He loves chatting across the room with the other birds when we board him and gets along very well with my dad's african grey. My husband is always surprising me but never with animals, because he isn't an animal person. Well I guess he decided to try something new and he showed up on Friday night with a baby goffin cockatoo! No offense to the cockatoo lovers, they are awesome birds but I would never want one as a pet because they don't suit my lifestyle and I can't handle the screaming. Well my husbands heart about brokw when he saw the look on my face and when asked to explain, he said the pet shop owner told him that goffins were the best family birds and they love to snuggle. Well we've had this bird for a couple days now and it's been a complete nightmare for us because of the screeching. We have a 7 month old son who's sleep has constantly been disturbed and its driving me crazy. My macaw is very quiet. He doesn't scream he vocalizes, so I'm not used to this. I called the guy at the pet shop asking to return the baby and he quickly said no and proceeded to hang up in my face. I came here because you all know about cockatoos and what it takes to own them. I'd rather see if anyone would be interested in this baby here than place an ad and have it go to someone who doesn't have a clue. This bird is not the right fit for our family and I never would've chosen it. Hubby thought he was doing a great thing but he made a poor decision. If anyone is interested please let me know asap. The baby is 20 weeks old and incredibly sweet, but there's no way we can keep it. Thanks for reading.

Most Reactions