URGENT! Are these crystals in the urates?!

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Cricket, my budgie, as pooped and I believe there are crystals in the urates. We are about to contact the vet.

IMG_6710.jpeg

It is only present in a few, but this is still very alarming.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Cricket, my budgie, as pooped and I believe there are crystals in the urates. We are about to contact the vet.

View attachment 55261
It is only present in a few, but this is still very alarming.
Crystals in urates are microscopic. You would not be able to see them. I think those poops look normal.
Who did that big poop in the upper right? Rico? All look normal to me.
If your budgie had solids in her urine that you could see they would clog up her kidneys. The tiny dark solid flecks are probably from the solid part of her poop. It all gets kind of mixed together before the bird expels it all.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Crystals in urates are microscopic. You would not be able to see them. I think those poops look normal.
Who did that big poop in the upper right? Rico? All look normal to me.
If your budgie had solids in her urine that you could see they would clog up her kidneys. The tiny dark solid flecks are probably from the solid part of her poop. It all gets kind of mixed together before the bird expels it all.
No, no, the urates are sparkly. You can see them.

Jcas

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Jan 9, 2023
Parrots
Quaker, 2 budgies
I can see what youā€™re referring to. It seems a little unusual. She wouldnā€™t happen to have a toy or something she chewed on that was glittery, sandy, sparkly?

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I can see what youā€™re referring to. It seems a little unusual. She wouldnā€™t happen to have a toy or something she chewed on that was glittery, sandy, sparkly?
No, not at all.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
No, not at all.
Crystals can form and precipitate out after the urine has left her body and cooled to room temperature. They are less soluble in cool temperatures. This would be a normal thing but if you are concerned bring her to a vet.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Crystals can form and precipitate out after the urine has left her body and cooled to room temperature. They are less soluble in cool temperatures. This would be a normal thing but if you are concerned bring her to a vet.
Well be able to talk with the vet in a few hoursā€¦ as of right now, cricket is under close monitoring. Iā€™ve never seen a bird with glittery crystals in their urates. Not once in my almost 4 years of having birds. Once we get ahold of our vet, Iā€™ll update further.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur momā€™s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
The vet still hasnā€™t called backā€¦

So, we are still waiting. As of right now, cricket seems to be doing fine, just with the really worrying poopā€¦ sheā€™s taking treats, getting gutsier, and still a pushy butt as usual.

Most Reactions