URGENT HELP NEEDED

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
My cocktail (alomost 2 years) has two eggs(her first batch) about two weeks ago. everything was going well but I saw one of the egg outside their wooden box it was fully intact and not broken. just light I shook it a little I could feel something in it. i kept in back.she sat on it. i was outside today as well. what should I do? should I keep putting it back? HELP.

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Does she have any mate or is she an only bird? if she is an only bird, there's no chance that it could be a chick.

Usually, when my love bird gets into her hormonal phase, i let her sit on it until she loses interest. just let your tiel sit on it for some days, she might lose interest eventually.

OP
P

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
Does she have any mate or is she an only bird? if she is an only bird, there's no chance that it could be a chick.

Usually, when my love bird gets into her hormonal phase, i let her sit on it until she loses interest. just let your tiel sit on it for some days, she might lose interest eventually.
she has a mate. i saw her gives the eggs and I don't understand what is wrong now everything was fine two weeks ago. should I put the egg back?

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Kiwi - Green Cheek Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
(Gorou & Liberty - Ringneck Doves)
If your cockatiel has lost interest and rejected the egg, it's probably not viable (not going to hatch) and putting it back is probably not going to convince her to sit on it.

You can hold the egg in front of a flashlight (candling) to see if there's a baby inside, and if you watch you should see a heartbeat if the baby is alive. If she's rejecting the egg it's probably not going to have a healthy chick inside. Honestly, the eggs may not have ANY baby inside, because she only laid 2 and a cockatiel clutch is usually 4-6 eggs. Sounds like she just got a bit hormonal and laid a couple of empty eggs is what it sounds like.

OP
P

Parootty

Apr 7, 2021
If your cockatiel has lost interest and rejected the egg, it's probably not viable (not going to hatch) and putting it back is probably not going to convince her to sit on it.

You can hold the egg in front of a flashlight (candling) to see if there's a baby inside, and if you watch you should see a heartbeat if the baby is alive. If she's rejecting the egg it's probably not going to have a healthy chick inside. Honestly, the eggs may not have ANY baby inside, because she only laid 2 and a cockatiel clutch is usually 4-6 eggs. Sounds like she just got a bit hormonal and laid a couple of empty eggs is what it sounds like.
k.i just say its a little cracked so yeah.But thank you

Featherii_Fids

Jan 15, 2022
Media
UAE, Abudhabi
Parrots
Yuko [M] - Yellow headed Budgie. [Healthy, Tame.]
Snowii [F] - BV dilute opaline lovebird. [Healthy, hand-raised.]
Luna [F] - Indigo budgie. [RIP,.]
Is parthenogenesis not a thing in birds? I read it was.
It is. Parthenogenesis happens in all female birds without mates. When a bird lays an egg without a mate, this is known as parthenogenesis. But these type of eggs aren't fertile. and there are risks of it, too. Like egg binding , prolapsed cloaca , etc.

Danny1

Oct 18, 2023
Parrots
2 Sun Conure
It is. Parthenogenesis happens in all female birds without mates. When a bird lays an egg without a mate, this is known as parthenogenesis. But these type of eggs aren't fertile. and there are risks of it, too. Like egg binding , prolapsed cloaca , etc.
Parthenogenesis is when an animal essentially clones itself and creates offspring without the help of a male. An infertile egg would not be considered parthenogenesis.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
k.i just say its a little cracked so yeah.But thank you
Oh yea if it's cracked you should definitely throw it away. She won't sit on a cracked egg and it'll get smelly much quicker than an egg that isn't damaged.

FYI if she keeps laying eggs, you can buy cockatiel size fake eggs and swap them. It'll discourage her from laying. Unless you're trying to breed, egg laying can be dangerous so it would be best to throw out anything your cockatiel considers to be a nest. If you are trying to breed, I strongly suggest finding an avian vet nearby and asking them for guidance.

hiriki

Oct 19, 2014
Chicago, IL
Parrots
(Birdie - Jenday Conure)
(Elby - Lovebird)
Parthenogenesis is when an animal essentially clones itself and creates offspring without the help of a male. An infertile egg would not be considered parthenogenesis.

I had to look this up but it's apparently possible in some limited species of bird. But even where it's possible, it's unlikely.

Danny1

Oct 18, 2023
Parrots
2 Sun Conure

I had to look this up but it's apparently possible in some limited species of bird. But even where it's possible, it's unlikely.
I see thank you. Seems much more rare in bird then in reptiles. Though still rare in reptiles some rely on parthenogenesis.

Most Reactions

Latest posts