urgent: Patcho is sick

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Oh I'm so sorry!!! On all fronts this is difficult! Here's holding out prayers for a turn for the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
This is scary as hell and I'm so, so sorry. I can imagine exactly what you're going through, having been through it fairly recently myself. I hope you have a better outcome than I did. If there is no organ failure, your bird can beat this. There's no bird tougher than an Amazon. One of my vets, the well-known Brian Speer, told me Amazons are tough as nails. If any bird can beat what's wrong, Pacho can.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Amazons are tenacious. Your love will give her the very best chance.

Some members have raved over a specific liquid aloe homeopathic treatment for the liver. Don't know if it has any effect on kidneys or if multiple organ issues argue against.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Pacho has eaten a small amount of corn (canned) and kept it down. I don't know if it's worth it to feed her more baby formula before I turn in or not.

My wife is from South America. She knows of a "home remidie " that is good for liver proplems in humans. I may try a small amount of this mixed with the Gatoraid the next time I give food/medicine.
If you Google "stone crusher hearb" you can find the real name and info.

Pacho is such a sweet and beautiful bird.. The world and myself will be poorer without her.
Texsize

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Pacho has eaten a small amount of corn (canned) and kept it down. I don't know if it's worth it to feed her more baby formula before I turn in or not.

My wife is from South America. She knows of a "home remidie " that is good for liver proplems in humans. I may try a small amount of this mixed with the Gatoraid the next time I give food/medicine.
If you Google "stone crusher hearb" you can find the real name and info.

Pacho is such a sweet and beautiful bird.. The world and myself will be poorer without her.
Texsize

So very sorry to hear Pacho is so sick but, stay positive!

Just some feedback from when Plum has been poorly Liver/heart problems. Hope it gives you something?

Last episode he stayed at vets for eight days and they eventually tube fed him a type of high potency mash, this will give nutrients without stress. He had dropped 100g and vet said his liver was 75% not working at this time. He was not even perching level! My point he definitely was not good, didnt think he would be coming home but he is still with me. They absorb love and fight these little feathered angels. If your AV is happy there is also Aloe Detox which if given the OK cannot harm. Plum was given both injections and oral antibiotics, is Pacho receiving them? Milk Thistle is good for the liver and AV also gave their version (called VBS) via the tube, its very bitter tasting. Anything you give check and double check for sugars as this will not help, will cause additional organ stress. AV wouldnt agree to the Avian Probiotic I had until he came home ie much better as they are sweet was his description.
Question: why is Pacho's liver and kidneys compromised at this time? Is it FLD or something else, toxins can also cause this not just FLD.
Stay strong, everyone is rooting for Pacho.

PS just Googled Stone Crusher Herb and it says it dissolves kidney stones, urge caution please! I of all people understand the rush to try and do something, find that miracle cure; perhaps feeling AV not acting fast enough. Solution read everything you can to understand what's going on and ask questions of AV. I had felt previously that I could do a better job of caring for Plum at home. WRONG! The best place was at the clinic being monitored round the clock, fed, medicated, kept warm for eight days, cost a bit but he came home, priceless!

http://store.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/HIGH-POTENCY-MASH/productinfo/HPM/

https://www.vitacost.com/lily-of-the-desert-aloe-vera-80-detoxifying-formula-32-fl-oz

Last edited:

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Ouch this is horrible news. My bfa Cookie also has liver issues.. due to a bad diet and a bad vet combination. My new vet recommended milk thistle extract... which I put in diet mountain dew or diet ginger ale to cover the nasty taste. Right away of course a diet change and got a new vet that was more concerned for the health of my birds than selling me some prescriptions I didn't really need. So far Cookie seems to be doing ok.. losing a bit of weight and has become more active. Sounds like your buddy is in more serious condition and all I can do is offer sympathy and encouragement. I can tell you love your critters like I love mine and lots of love might be what helps get him over this hump. Xing fingers here for ya.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
No reason given for the kidney/liver trouble but...
She is about 40 years old. She was a rescue bird I have had her for about 27 years.
Due to my own ignorance she was on a mostly seed diet up untill a year ago.
She was diagnosed as overweight and switched to pellets 1 year ago.
I am not sold an this stone crusher herb. Says it reduces calcium.
We all know how important calcium is for birds.
Vet hospitals does not do 24 hour care, wish they did. I would feal better wit professional care.
Going to go give antibiotics and baby food now.
Texsize

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Good to hear you are not convinced in the herb though. Don't beat yourself up about the seed! Wonder how many are guilty of the same thing?

If using human baby food the Harrisons would be better IMO. I'd send you some if was in US.

Pacho is a good age, looks like years of a seed only diet then?

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
WhatI mean is it reduces calcium. I don't see that as good.
Pacho was able to fighting the feeding and administering of medicine more strongly than yesterday.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
That's the downside of having a sick bird that needs meds. Here you have a 40 year old bird (mine is 31) that all the sudden has to be held down and forced to take meds.. adding to the stress he is already going thru. Some years ago I wised up to this issue and started teaching my birds to take meds without knowing it.
Not sure what all you are giving your bird now. Is there anything you can sneak into his water or anything you can mix with natural almond butter? (peanut butters a no no) . Some stuff I mix with almond butter and make em lil sandwiches with natural whole grain bread. Kind of limited what I can do that way however.
On syringe type meds I did something different. Using light corn syrup or honey id sit with them on my shoulder and id fake like I was taking the stuff myself. Of course.. curious as they are and being beggars of anything daddy has didn't take long before they wanted to try some. So.. they get a taste of the sweet stuff in the syringes and want more. Now if I have to give em meds there is no fight...and on top of the dose of meds they need I add just a dab of corn syrup. I also get a compounding pharmacy to make meds for my critters really concentrated ... either nearly tastless of flavored. It helps a lot having the dose to the minimum amount needed.
Again Im with ya bro. Wish I knew more so I could be of more help tho.. keep me posted

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
It is very difficult where the liver and kidneys are concerned as things like nut butters are fatty and will stress a probably already struggling Liver. The same for sweet things too.

My choice was egg which worked Ok with Plum and is good source of nutrition but I personally feel it was better when he was being fed the 'mash' as he got all his meds in a guaranteed feed. He did much better even though he was more poorly at the start.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I've had great success giving meds (prescription and homeopathic) mixed with a bit of cooked oatmeal. No sweetener, just the cooked oats. Others such as cream of rice or Malt O Meal for a nuttier flavor are acceptable.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
That oatmeal idea is awesome. Gonna give that a shot next time I have something compatible. Good point on the use of almond butter.. but..My vet seems to think the omega6s in the almond butter outweigh the negative of the fats but I dunno. As for the sweets in syringes .. its a tiny fraction of the dose of meds and if it encourages them to get it all down...:shrug:... beats them slinging it all over me. Cookie doesn't take syringe meds right now.. luckily..... Booger...being terminal with ABV/PDD... he gets meds twice a day... plus me doing my level best to get nutrients in him all his waking hours. He will forget to eat. Ive managed to keep him alive and relatively healthy for well over a year despite that ghastly disease he is dealing with. Thank goodness for hard boiled eggs( egg whites only for Cookie) almond butter, and Harrison Power treats.. the main parts of Booger's diet.
Hopes are the vet comes up with a plan to treat Patcho with some hopes of recovery. Its just my opinion that as long as Patcho is with us it aint time to throw in the towel just yet. Booger was suppose to have died long ago but thankfully he is sitting on my shoulder right now. Hang in there!

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
How is he this AM?

Pacho was able to fighting the feeding and administering of medicine more strongly than yesterday.
She is perching in an unusual position, like a squashed S.
If she does not drink anything by noon, 2hrs away my family will give more Gatoraid.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
How is he this AM?

She is perching in an unusual position, like a squashed S.
If she does not drink anything by noon, 2hrs away my family will give more Gatoraid.

Any chance of a pic Wes please? Is she perching low/flat on her perch?

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Yes she is perching low and her neck is what makes it look like the letter S.
the pictures don't really show it.

XpvTdoI.jpg

Only indication of a problem is the wing drooping on both sides.

I took this picture yesterday. shows some substance drooling/dripping from her beak.

Rac97nP.jpg

Her last poop just now had a small amount of green in it though it still is mostly liquid and yellowish green.

texsize

Most Reactions