Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I am happy to read Pacho seems to get a bit better each day. FWIW, I had asthma , life time asthma, daily rescue inhaler asthma. Stopped drinking /eating anything with artificial sweeteners. 2 months later, no Asthma. That was 15 yrs ago. I have no medical advice for ya, my friend, just prayers and positive thoughts.

Heat lamp? Aren't you in SO Cal, Wes? I heard they hit 112oF today, why a heat lamp?

Last edited:
OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Let's see. a number of things to answer but I don't know how to do multiple quotes.

I have tried fruit juice in that I soaked pellets in apple juice. Pacho never touched it.
I have a bowl of 50/50 water and Gatoraid next to her with regular water on the other side of her perch.

I have been thinking about weighing my birds (at least the large ones). Make a spread sheet and make entry's at least once a week. I know my Tiels wont stay still for it.
I did weigh my baby cockatiels daily as they grew. was a good tool for showing me there weight loss when they were getting ready to fledge.

I am still at work. no direct new news.
I have NOT set up the heat lamp. I am going to be very cautious with that.

texsize.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
No Pooping all day. Not a single one.
I am very worried her internal organs are all shutting down.
Maybe go back to the vet firs thin in morning if she hangs on that long. I don't know what else can be done ....
texsize

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
We're all here for you hoping and praying for the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
This sounds extremely serious. I'm sending you all my love, hoping for a miracle. Oh, please let this turn around somehow. :(

I've read this entire thread, but due to the emotional content, I may have forgotten something, so this could be revisiting a topic already covered: Is there a world class bird hospital within driving distance? If elite CAV's could hospitalize her, they could push fluids, give painkillers and perhaps buy some time to figure out exactly what's wrong and how to treat it.

Please let us know if there's something we can do to help. I feel helpless. If I feel this helpless and terrified, what must you be feeling? :( I'm so sorry.

((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.

Ladyhawk

Apr 30, 2017
Parrots
Kizzy - (most likely) female blue-fronted Amazon, hatched on May 1, 2017; Gabby - Male double yellowheaded Amazon, hatched, April 1, 1986; died February 22, 2017
If Pacho makes it through the night, perhaps you could call The Oakley Medical Center for Birds. Explain that you're too far away to make the trip and ask who they would recommend in your area. There are world class vets at the above hospital, including Dr. Brian Speer, co-author of Birds for Dummies and a past president of the Association of Avian Veterinarians.

Medical Center for Birds
3805 Main Street
Oakley, CA 94561
(925) 625-1878

Crossed fingers

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Hope Pacho has a better night. Tried Googling some avian vets in your area. Found Dr. Lynn McEwan, Palmdale Veterinary Hospital. Some reviews state he is CAV. Veterinarian & Animal Hospital in Palmdale, CA | Palmdale Veterinary Hospital

For 24hr specialties, closest might be either the northern valley area or Riverside/San Bernardino.

This is indeed the vet I go to with my birds. There is one other Vet in the area who will look at and treat birds but they are not ACV.

Pacho passed away 2:30 am Pacific coast time.

Thank you for all your support.
wes

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
So sorry to hear of Patcho's passing away. You made a great effort to save your lil buddy, that's all that you could do. I always say the wrong things at times like this so its best I just shut up and let you cope with the loss of your feathered family member. Hang in there.. your other birds need ya.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I am so sorry, Wes. My deepest condolences for the passing of Pacho. May she rest easy and comfort you and your family with her beautiful memories.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Oh Wes, tragic news, and I am sorry beyond words. You indeed did all that you could for Pacho and she is flying now with good company over the Bridge ( my little Maxie for one). I made a donation to the Cornell Univ. Vet program , to be used for parrot related studies., in Pacho's name.
Fly high Pacho.

Most Reactions