using bathroom while out

kuttnup250

Sep 16, 2012
Parrots
Bf amazon
Hello all!! I was wondering what the best way to keep from having alot of messes while having our babies out of their cage would be. I thought about pulling food 20 mins before letting them out..or should i do longer..or is that viewed as a sort of punishment to coming out of cage?? What do you do??:green:

Adinafloyd

Jul 8, 2012
Slaughter, La
Parrots
Jax (CAG)
Scarlet (Ekkie)
Toot (TAG)
(YNA-Nappy, Gone but never ever far from my heart)
The only thing that can be done is clean it up. I keep a box of tissue in each room. Thats just what they do. Mine also let me know by saying poop poop just before the bomb. Sometimes I can get em to the playstand but mostly I just go for the tissue.

kc_y0

Nov 17, 2011
Media
Sydney
Parrots
Eclectus Female - Audrey.
Art - Budgie.
Astro - Budgie.
Mini - Budgie, RIP gorgeous girl.
You can toilet train the bird so that you can tell him to go poop when you want, or so that he will return to his cage to poop. If not try putting a tissue under his bum when he is sitting on you, or use wet wipes (like baby wipes) to clean the mess.

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
I figured out how to handle the Morning Do, which is the biggie of the day, and Greybeard is very regular if I get to him in the morning. Chewbaca is nearly as reliable.

IMG_1841%20(Small)Lbl.jpg

triordan

Sep 1, 2010
Maryland
Parrots
Remington~ GW Macaw
Ollie/Olivia~ CAG
I figured out how to handle the Morning Do, which is the biggie of the day, and Greybeard is very regular if I get to him in the morning. Chewbaca is nearly as reliable.

IMG_1841%20(Small)Lbl.jpg

but if they turn around won't they miss the toilet?

DebsFlock

Banned
Banned
Jul 19, 2012
Los Angeles County, near Palmdale
Parrots
Scooter -- male Green Cheek Conure "Normal" but that's a matter of opinion! Hatched in March 2010

Scotty -- Male Cape Parrot hatched somewhere between 2007-2009 we think

Caballo Blanco -- male C
Potty train, put down paper, limit where they are allowed to go, get a shoulder cape. You could flight-suit (aka birdie diaper) train them, but I'm not all that keen on that personally.

Withholding food strikes me as a bad idea and not very effective. I'd think if you withheld food and water long enough to stop them from pooping it would be potentially dangerous.

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
Buy big bulk pkgs of 'select-a-size' paper towels when they r on sale. Think Newpaper and/or towels and/or old clothing. Pritti has a wardrobe and linens of his own for chewing and pooping on -- flannel sheets, towels, and t-shirts. I'll even drape them over a section of the sofa or bed or a chair seat if he is hanging out playing around with some toys while I'm watching a movie or reading or on the phone. Just about everyone has t-shirts they don't ever wear and eventually old faded towels that they can donate to the cause. For tile or wood floors, I just wipe and go.

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Don't worry about bird poop...

Try a great dane, who can't poop standing still (so you get a pile), but instead you have a circle of poop one meter in diameter (= 3 foot or feet)..

Nah, bird poop is nothing... :D

PortaPerch

Apr 28, 2012
SurfCity, SoCalif
Parrots
Chewbaca, F. Galah, h10/10;
Greybeard, M. Congo AG h03/09
Yes, Triordan, if they turn around they miss the toilet, but hit the coated paper plate. Praise has taught them to always drop it in the toilet. Besides, they don't like having the angled pole interfering with their tail feathers.

azdesertrhino

Oct 29, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw
We just deal with the situation.

Mac is pretty good about taking his first dump prior to coming out of his cage.

We keep plenty of paper towels (select a size) around. Mostly tile floors although we are getting ready to do laminate.

He spends most of his time in his play area which has brown paper that we change regularly.

fd9b16a6.jpg

khaiqha

Sep 19, 2012
Lewisville, TX
Parrots
Alexandrine Ringneck,
about to be getting a Jardine's
If your bird can fly it's a lot easier. I have a stand in the living room and his cage is in my room. If I sense he needs to poop, I cue him to fly back to the stand/cage. When he poops, I click, call him back and reward him.

I also carry an egg crate with rope perch around with me. It's lined with paper. I also send him there or hold him there to poop.

The trick is to be observant when your bird is out. If he's on you for a long time, put him over his stand until he goes. Eventually he'll get the idea. My bird is pretty much accident free, to the point where if he does go somewhere he's not supposed to I'm surprised by it. The only issue I've had is that his cage doesn't have a "catch" at the bottom, so if he sits on the edge it'll go straight to the floor.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
With my galah Rosie every single time she goes poo around me I say "you went poop!" and now before I take her in a store I ask her "Have to go poop" and if she does she goes poop and I say "you went poop!" and get really excited. Sometimes though they just go poop when they want lol I bring her downstairs and let her play on a towel, and put a towel over my lap so she doesn't get poop on me.

Most Reactions