Valentino's cage

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I worked over 4 hours cleaning and setting up Valentino's cage. My baby Red Fronted Macaw will be living in a Kings 406 stainless steel heavy as hell cage. This was originally Diego's my Illiger's macaw cage which I bought in 2002. I have sanitized the whole cage, replaced perches and toys (all brand new) and sanitized walls, floor and the curtains.

People use to make fun of me for buying a mini macaw such a large cage but the Illiger's used every inch of that cage to play in. I fear it might be too small for a RFM but the breeder told me it is plenty big.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks!!

Noblemacaw

Cageresized.jpg

cageresizedII.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Do you have a spare cage just like that that I could come and move into? ;)

LOL It looks fine! Probably even better if you could get some perches that span the width and/or length of the cage and more toys! But of course, I assume this is the beginning setup and you'll personalize it more once you get Valentino! He's a lucky boy!

OP
noblemacaw

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
Thank you all for your kind replies. Wendy does say the cage will be large enough for Valentino. I guess I was sweating it being too small because of having a mini macaw in it for almost 10 years.

The cage does look kind of naked. It needs a parrot! Monica you are correct with the current stuff is just the set up. After Valentino gets home I will adjust the cage fixings to his likes.

Right now I have two wood toys..bells bells bells, a boing, three short perches and a two by 4 in the back across the width of the cage. Valentino will only be in the cage to eat and sleep and for down time. I have a huge Java tree play gym also for him for out of cage time. I will post pictures of that once I get it in the spot I have planned for it. (have to rearrange living space for where I want the tree. That will be done with weekend).

I do have a second cage that my Noble macaw Mihijo lived in. I bought him the Freedom cage feeding system the Osala model which I know is going to be too small for Valentino. Right now the Freedom cage had been sanitized and taken apart and put in storage. I hope to someday get another medium parrot so that the cages can be side by side and the parrots can keep each other company when I cannot. That is how I use to have Diego's and Mihijo's cages. They use to be side by side against the wall.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AWESOME cage! I've got the identical one (in black) for my YN Amazon, and then the model above it (#506) for my B&G. I swear, those cages last FOREVER! They are built like Mac trucks. :)

Valentino will love this cage, I'm sure of it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts