Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
This morning Venus finally made some noise. I was making birdy breakfast and she screamed, loud, and she has claimed the title of the loudest in the house. When I approached her cage with breakfast, she started dancing and went to town. I made scrambled egg with red pepper for Venus and Buddy. Then later I got her out of her cage. I did this because I wanted to check her out. Last night I could hear her breathing across the room. I covered her early last night because she was shaking, nervous. She still breathed loud but she got quiet. I sat with her and she ran up my arm to my shoulder and calmed down fast. I had Husband come get her which he did, then he sat with her and she ran up and got on his shoulder. Here's a pic. Now she keeps bending her head back like this and looking around. Buddy has never done this and we are wondering why she does this.

taw5106-albums-2014-picture13708-image.jpg

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Are you quarantining her away from Buddy for now?

She looks like she could really use a bath, I am concerned with being able to hear her breath, do you have a vet check soon?

I know she wasn't planned but I do hope you and your husband are doing lots of research into the correct diet for her. The Land Of Vos has many wonderful articles and diet related information.

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Yep she is quarantined and we have been using Land of Vos to research her diet and parrot place.ca. I just got back from the market and gave her a cherry, she destroyed it, I've given her an almond today out of my Santa Fe parrot treat mix, and For dinner tonight I am making boiled rice and field peas which are purple hull peas. I have Harrison and Zupreem pellets, but I plan on keeping her on a high veggie and fruit diet like Buddy. She is dirty and does need a bath but I'm taking it slow. She has heard the bathroom fan near the room she is in and has been making dry shower moves so I may get brave tomorrow and take her in the guest bathroom to see what she will do in the shower.

The vet will be open Tuesday so I'll be working her in to the vet on Tuesday. When I spent time with her this morning I wasn't able to hear her breath for long but I've got my eye on her. I'm happy to see she is a good eater, I did not give her seed, and she's been chowing down, she ate her egg and pepper this morning. Now I have noticed she is drinking a lot of water, lots of trips to her water bowl but she's making soup too so I've been changing her water out a lot.

Her temperament so far is very different from Buddy's. His is in your face while she seems shy, quiet, timid and docile. She likes the bell toy I got her and today I got some whiffle balls and shredded paper to make her a shred toy. One question I have is why does she bend her head back like she is posed in the photo? I found a body language chart and that posture is not on there.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
I couldn't say for sure about the neck thing I have only seen mine do that if there is something over their head they are looking at. How often is she doing it?

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Only when I've had her out. My first thought was she was checking out the ceiling fan which was off. She's in husband's office and he has tons of football memorabilia from top to bottom and to me she looks like she's checking things out but it's when she is out of the cage. In her cage she's busy with the bell. No other movements of concern yet. I'm impressed with how she is comfortable with hands and is stick trained. When I've had her out I've turned her every which way to look at her. The spot on her head above her nose has new feathers but I did look close to see if I could see anything that may be obstructing the nostril. I want the vet to take a good look at that.

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus
I can't see exactly what she's doing in the picture but when Oliver is very, very relaxed...and about to sleep... he sometimes tucks his head into his shoulder/wing....

OP
Taw5106

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
She has her head thrown back making it look like she has a broken neck, that's the best way to describe it, lol.

Most Reactions