Vet time? Am I overreacting?

Kate_Todd

Jun 11, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Hamlet- Umbrella Cockatoo
Neville- Cockatiel
Hinata- Barbary Dove
I suppose I should preface by saying I work part time at an avian vet's office, so taking him in isn't going to be an issue. I just want to make sure I'm not overreacting. :D

I was laying in bed, my husband (who works nights) sleeping next to me, with Hamlet, our U2, on my chest while I was reading. Then, randomly, Todd flips over and flings his arm out... right on top of Hamlet and me. Hamlet didn't cry out, he just flapped over to a side table, and looked surprised and annoyed. Surprised us both, to be sure.

Thing is... since then, he has been favoring his left wing, being cautious about using it, and holding it gently out from his body. He's let me manipulate it, and hasn't reacted to my touching it and lightly squeezing along the muscle, so I dunno if there is a sore spot per se. He's been acting normally otherwise... although if anything he's been quieter, and this is a bird who is not afraid to vocalize. He was SUPER cuddly and clingy right after it happened, but now he is back to playing and trying to eat my keyboard, like nothing happened... except he is still holding that darn wing out a bit.

His wings are clipped, if that matters. He has preened normally, stretched normally... really, all signs point to him being totally fine, except for holding it out and being a bit reserved. Is my boss going to roll her eyes at me if I bring him in tomorrow, or are my instincts right to be better safe than sorry?

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
I think you are in the perfect position to be 'safe'.
Why take a chance on being sorry if you right there in the office?
Hope he is fine! :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I'd go with your gut feeling. If it really seems to be bothering him I'd do it. Your boss of ALL people shouldn't be rolling her eyes at that. After all, she should be professional AND used to all sorts of people bringing in pets out of precaution and even for super small things right?

OP
K

Kate_Todd

Jun 11, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Hamlet- Umbrella Cockatoo
Neville- Cockatiel
Hinata- Barbary Dove
I just hate to be the one who jumps in going PUT ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE!, when I know how crazy Monday mornings there are. But my worry for my boy will win out, I'm just not happy with how subdued he is, I'm pretty sure he's hurting. I guess my next paycheck is going toward xrays- I hope the wing isn't broken.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
You're lucky you just get to take him to work! :) It doesn't necessarily imply that you want to push him to the "front of the line". Of course unless he is really in urgent need which in that case your boss should know triage of course, and see him first. Otherwise, if he's doing fine, he'll still get to be seen :)
I'm hoping it's not broken :(. I have no idea HOW much they would hide it or act out of sorts. Good luck, keep us posted.

GW.Joe

Nov 26, 2013
Southeastern PA (15 miles west of Philly in a smal
Parrots
HI Fellow Parrot Lovers! Baby Green Wing Macaw, Loving Departed Yellow-naped Amazon "Poe"
I just hate to be the one who jumps in going PUT ME TO THE FRONT OF THE LINE!, when I know how crazy Monday mornings there are. But my worry for my boy will win out, I'm just not happy with how subdued he is, I'm pretty sure he's hurting. I guess my next paycheck is going toward xrays- I hope the wing isn't broken.

I know how much stress a boss can put on you, just a quick look to see might not bug him too much, just be apologetic and tell him you know its a bad time cause how busy Mondays are but you are scared, he would have to appreciate the fact that you do care about how busy they are, I know if I was the boss it would make me feel you care

Please let us know ASAP, Most likely its just sore

Joe

Most Reactions