Vitamin D - Parrots

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
While busy on the Forum with Julio sitting next to me enjoying the morning Sunshine streaming in our East window, the question of just how Vitamin D accesses their body came to mind.

At this moment, Julio is near fully covered in Sunshine and he is clearly enjoying it. But, is he getting a charge of Vitamin D? After all his full body is covered with feathers. From top of his head to the tip of his tail feathers, no skin is exposed. On his body, where his wings are not covering his body, he has the normal downy feathers, tiny body hairs and his body feathers. On his legs, the upper has feathers and the lower is a heavy (thick) skin down to his nails. Yes, his beak is exposed as is his nasals.

Anyone that has looked, know that Parrot skin is near translucent it is so thin. Thus, little if any space for specialized receptors.

So, just How Do Parrots Transition the Sun light to Vitamin D???

Visually?

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Lol! Hey buddy. It’s the oil on the feathers. UV light converts precursors in the oil to vitamin d, and ingested during preening.

Hence the widespread curiosity of UV lights.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
While busy on the Forum with Julio sitting next to me enjoying the morning Sunshine streaming in our East window, the question of just how Vitamin D accesses their body came to mind.

At this moment, Julio is near fully covered in Sunshine and he is clearly enjoying it. But, is he getting a charge of Vitamin D? After all his full body is covered with feathers. From top of his head to the tip of his tail feathers, no skin is exposed. On his body, where his wings are not covering his body, he has the normal downy feathers, tiny body hairs and his body feathers. On his legs, the upper has feathers and the lower is a heavy (thick) skin down to his nails. Yes, his beak is exposed as is his nasals.

Anyone that has looked, know that Parrot skin is near translucent it is so thin. Thus, little if any space for specialized receptors.

So, just How Do Parrots Transition the Sun light to Vitamin D???

Visually?

Amazons are missing the preen gland that produces the oil with the compound for Vitamin D. Last I looked it up I think it was agreed upon that diet & skin exposure was the main sources for amazons but new studies might have changed that by now. Most other parrot species (Hyacinths I think are missing it too) have the preen gland for Vitamin D thru sun exposure.

Parrots do have another gland located in the eye though that absorbs UV & vit D and does help regulate other functions thru communication with other glands (I forget all their names:54:) like breathing, molting, etc.

Also, any window blocks uv exposure so opening the window will help some. Taking them outside or bulbs that throw off UVB. I think UVB is the main for parrots. But they might need UVA too. I don't use bulbs so not 100% on that one.

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Hm, Learn something new everyday.

I found an entry from the book clinical biochemistry of domestic animals saying
birds are capable of dermal synthesis of vitamin d from 7-dehydrocholesterol. Not sure if that’s 100%the answer, but between this ocular gland victoria mentions and likely dermal synthesis perhaps you’re coming close to a bigger picture.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)

birds are capable of dermal synthesis of vitamin d from 7-dehydrocholesterol. Not sure if that’s 100%the answer, but between this ocular gland victoria mentions and likely dermal synthesis perhaps you’re coming close to a bigger picture.

Right. I would be interested to see new studies now. I haven't really given it much thought in a long time. Plus, I'd like to go back and manhandle the hybrid hyacinth/Harlequin macaw to look for a gland. I wonder what way the preen gland fell if the hyacinth doesn't have it but the other two species do have one?

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks Folks!

I really like the idea regarding: "Parrots do have another gland located in the eye though that absorbs UV & vit D and does help regulate other functions thru communication with other glands (I forget all their names) like breathing, molting, etc.".

The eyes are large enough to support receptors for UV spectrum and supports their ability to see that spectrum. Add a couple of glands and one has a light weight method of producing Vitamin D.

Yes, Amazons are dustballs, which they use to reduce friction as the feathers move over each other. And proven with a feather fluffing in the Sunlight, one clearly sees the shedding effect. Likely one of the reasons Mrs. Boats sent her two dustballs to the cabin for the weekend. :D

Major thanks to the both of you!

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon

I really consider that possibility, but the ultra thin skin of Parrots, for me, limits its ability to support much at all.

The truly confounding issue with Parrots (birds) is their ultra light weight design. Everything is kept to a minimum to allow flight. Duplicate systems are rare and far between.

Most Reactions

Latest posts