Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Last evening Salty spent a few hours with his head tucked into his back, and he was not interested in any training ( which is very unusual for him). Today he played very little and spent more time high up on his play chain with his head tucked in again. If he is stil uninterested in training to night, he is going to Dr Hoefer ASAP. I am worried, he is usually pretty rambuctious, especially when meals are being prepared. Tonight, nothing.

No falls, no hot feet, no hot beak. no nasal discharge, just lethargic.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I hope he is okay :( Noodles had a REALLY weird day like this recently and I was seriously concerned (even called after-hours emergency cell of my vet)--No clue what her deal was, but it wasn't bacterial and she's normal now...maybe it was a combination of me being home all of the time +some boredom and crappy, cloudy weather (in her case).

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Poor Salty! Keep us posted, Al. We don't want anything to happen to our celebrity there. He's an amazing little guy, and you do such an incredible job with him. Hope it turns out to be nothing major. We're thinking of you here in the far northeast!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I hope it turns out to be nothing.
Keeping Salty in our amazon thoughts.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Sorry to hear that Salty isn't feeling well. He's one of my favorite Amazons, and I hope he'll soon be back to being his usual self.

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Please keep us posted. I can only imagine how worried you must be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
We gave him steamed broccoli for dinner and he ate some of that. went back up to his high "roost" and was talking some, you know like amusing himself. Then we had our usual training session at 8:45 sharp. He seemed eager for it, but was hesitant in accepting his slice of pie nut for his first trick, th roll over (it's always the first trick). I thought 'that's odd'. Next was a new one, stacking up soft rubber alphabet blocks, and he attempted to pick one up but backed off, like his beak or tounge or mandible muscles hurt. Again, 'hmmm'. Tried another trick where he uses his beak to pick up things, and he was obviously being very ginger and slow in picking them up. So we stopped doing beak dependant tricks and I let him play piano ( done with gusto), playing dead, shaking hands, waving hello, high fiving, and his hoop tricks. The hoops he just walks thru them, he did that part fine, but when it came to his special part, holding hoop up (with his beak) he backed off. And then I was certain that he must have done something to his beak, because thats one trick he will do endlessly just for the fun of it. Last one was his slide, and he walks up the ladder like he's going up stairs, no beak involvement.

I held him and looked really closely at his beak, but I can't see anything obvious. the tip of his upper beak is a bit long, and the outer sheath of horn is chipped off, other than that looks normal to me.

He was more animated tonite for training, last night he just plain refused. Rather than running to the vet tommorow,I think we will keep him under close observation and see if he gets more active like his usual self. A very close eye.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Sending you and Salty all our hopes, much love and some warming Queensland sunshine! Please be ok Salty!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Distressing to know Salty is unwell. Al, you've done a great job helping the vet diagnose. Hope it is nothing of concern and he bounces back quickly. Sending healing thoughts to our celebrity Amazon!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Aw, Al, that was impressively observant detective work! Makes me think Salty just needs a day or two and will be back to his old self again. Healing vibes coming his way!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Al, sending healing prayers to Salty! I hope he feels much better today. I agree with Chris, that was great detective work!

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Agreed, really fabulous detective work, and it speaks clearly to your close relationship with him that you were able to notice/narrow it down. I do hope our little friend is feeling better soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Another thing I noticed is that he didn't eat the nutraberry he gets in the AM. A weigh this AM showed he dropped maybe 3-4 grams from his weight last week of 325, understandable if he is having a hard time effectively using his beak. Salty was a little more active this morning, using his beak to bash around a few toys ( he usually beats them up pretty violently ). TOnight will be the first chance I can compare how he is acting to the previous sessions. But I can't for the life of me figure out what he might have done to his beak or the mucels attached to it. As I said theres nothing abvious other then the typical chipping of the horny outer casing.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
It might not be on the beak, proper. It could be musculoskeletal in nature, with the jaw. Maybe he fell down over night in his cage and landed in such a way as to pull a muscle or otherwise hurt his jaw.

Never heard of that happening before, but has logic to it.

Most Reactions

Latest posts