vomit or regurgitate cause for concern?

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
YNA (Mad) Max aka Mean Max Green ~2002
Sulfur Crested ‘too Babybird 2015
Mad Max had been loose and wandering around on the floor and under the cages (we don't clip his wings but he doesn't fly). I saw him chewing on the woodwork and I tried to scare him back onto the cage with a broom. He was unhappy about this but did not appear excessively stressed out to me.

My wife, who would leave both birds in the cages all the time if it was up to her, came home and decided I had made Max too upset. I bribed Baby (the young 'too) to get back in her cage with a peanut but Max wouldn't go. Wife observed he was puking up something, panicked and called the vet.

He wanted her to pick him up but eventually she herded him back in the cage by threatening to use a towel. He's in there now, no longer puking but took a long time to notice the peanut in his bowl.

Max was definitely chewing on the painted woodwork and maybe some on the plaster & lath walls. He seems to be fine, eating his peanut.

I think he might have been regurgitating as a sign of affection, wife says that's not even a thing.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
When a bird is throwing up (as opposed to regurgitation) the substance they bring up is expelled onto the floor.
If it’s regurgitation they will normally re-swallow the food.

If you’re bird is indeed throwing up a trip to the avian vet is a must.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Well stated by my good friend above!

If you in fact have lath, it is likely that you have an older home and depending on the age of the home, your Parrot chewing /eating paint chips and /or lath (as in lath and plaster) can be very dangerous. To add to this group would be older dry wall panels. Sadly, it is not uncommon to find Lead in these products

It would be proper for you to check if your home contains Lead. I believe that most Paint Store have a devise that you can use to check for Lead. If it indicates that Lead is found, you should have a professional come in to complete a detailed review.

NOTE: Parrots find Lead contaminated Paint, Drywall and some Plaster to have a sweet taste just like Human children.

OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
He's ok now.

It's been three hours and Max seems fine.

OP
henry0reilly

henry0reilly

Mar 2, 2017
Parrots
re: sweet taste

NOTE: Parrots find Lead contaminated Paint, Drywall and some Plaster to have a sweet taste just like Human children.

As far as I know, Max has never eaten any children. :rolleyes:

Most Reactions