Vomiting/recognition

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
This morning my macaw was bobbing her head up and down in my mirror wardrobes, when we came downstairs she vomited watery sick. Is this normal? She is still lively, eating and drinking well. Poop is normal. I'm worried incase she is unwell. Please help

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Regurgitation includes that head bobbing motion. Maybe she is 'feeding' the bird in the mirror?

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
I thought the same but she was sick downstairs away from the mirror and it was watery?

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
This morning my macaw was bobbing her head up and down in my mirror wardrobes, when we came downstairs she vomited watery sick. Is this normal? She is still lively, eating and drinking well. Poop is normal. I'm worried incase she is unwell. Please help
Regurgitation and vomiting are usually distinguishable by the head movements that accompany them. Generally, regurgitating is accompanied by bobbing the head straight up and down and other attention seeking behaviours like perhaps quivering wings for example. The regurgitated food should not be foul smelling, and they might even eat or swallow it again. With vomiting they usually shake their head from side to side more violently and the vomit will be flung around and perhaps end up landing on the bird's head and body. They want to get that stuff as far away from them as they can so it can be flung, sometimes quite some distance, by the slinging motion of the bird's head. It may be foul smelling too.

Of course, nobody knows your bird's behaviour and what is normal for her better than you do, so if you are concerned about her welfare it's probably a good idea to have her checked out by her avian vet, particularly if she hasn't had one in the last 12 months or so.

I hope this helps and I wish you all the very best for your girl! 🙏 🙏 🙏

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
She is fine tonight everything as normal. I did call the vet this morning they said to give her 24hrs and see how she is if needed I was to get an appointment. I think its just been regurgitation. I just panicked this morning. I left my work early to come home to make sure she was OK.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
She is only 7 months. She had a check up in October when we first got her.

OP
Kirstyr

Kirstyr

Nov 9, 2022
Parrots
Gold and blue macaw
Helping her dad put UV light up lol

Attachments

• 20230222_162308.jpg
    20230222_162308.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 26

Most Reactions