washinton post article on noise induced ptsd in birds

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I dunno, I mean it's bad but if you've ever driven across the country there is so much open space.

I know they were there first but I mean whats the solution? We start the human purge? (now that I think about it...well NVM, lets not go there). I think most birds adapt...I get upset there are humans sharing my road to work..but in the end they will move a bit away, or hang out in the suburbs where we hang out bird feeders...

Don't get me wrong I love birds and all that but there really isn't a solution other than massive war and die off, EMP, or zombie apocalypse or ....etc. At some point we all just need to coexist, birds and man.

OP
bug_n_flock

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
Hey, I think you're misreading my mind there. I said nothing about any of that. I just thought the article was interesting and could be useful in the home setting as far as emphasizing the need for quiet at certain times of day.

In the end: yes there are a lot of humans, but as you point out: there is so much empty space! Most people are concentrated in high population areas like cities, and don't understand just how vast our world is.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
you didn't say anything you just posted the article! Although nothing wrong discussing the purge idea...nvm

Teddscau

Sep 25, 2015
Media
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Budgies: Sunshine, Blanco, Azure; Peach-faced lovebirds: Rosie and Jaybird; YSA: Jasper (♀)
Thanks for sharing! I, for one, HATE noise. The radio drives me crazy, I can't handle a lot of people talking, I'm completely stressed out by airbrakes or whatever causes that sharp sound that buses and other large vehicles make when they stop, I almost have an anxiety attack when I see balloons (the rubber ones, not the metallic looking ones)... I just find humans are far too noisy, not to mention they intentionally make these horrible sounds. Needless to say, my house is very quiet.

I agree with you, Clark. We need a massive die-off of humans or something. For anyone reading this, obviously we aren't suggesting that we want humans to die. It's just that disease, predation, competition for resources, natural disasters, having designated breeding seasons, etc., keeps non-human animal populations in check. Humans, on the other hand don't die from disease*, kill any animals who are perceived as vaguely threatening (Thylacine, elephants, snakes, spiders, tigers, leopards, jaguars, cougar, cheetah, hyena, wilddogs, bears, wolves, pit bulls, gorillas...), breed constantly...

*Yeah, so, fun fact: in times of disease, starvation, poverty, war, and just general horribleness, humans breed even more. It's stupid, since animals don't do this because they seem to understand that if things aren't going great for them, then adding to the population definitely isn't going to help.

But considering our ability to breed pretty much constantly, our long lifespans, nothing keeping our population in check (besides genocide and other atrocities), etc., we're going to kill the planet if we don't keep our numbers in check. Just have one (or no) children. Oh, you want tons of children? How about you adopt some, then. Like, there's literally thousands of tiny humans sitting around in orphanages and foster homes that nobody wants. Like, these humans have already been birthed, so you don't have to go through 9 months of suffering or the horrors of giving birth. Plus, you already know what medical and behavioural problems they have. Or you could buy (I guess it's "technically" called an adoption fee) an older child so you don't have to constantly buy them new clothes.

Yes, I do keep getting off topic -_-. Wait, no, I'm on point there.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
I wasn't being that political....I was just entertaining myself.....you know what, form a cult! I'm in! No kool aid though....

dhraiden

Jul 14, 2015
Queens NY
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Mochi)
Gold Capped Conure (Mango)
I read that with interest, thanks for sharing.

I live in the largest city in America. It is noisy. I have been fortunate enough to travel a few places, mostly Asia, in the last few years. Tokyo is not as noisy. Bangkok and Saigon, about the same, depending on where new construction is and if you're passing those parts.

Noise, and sound, are vibrations traveling through a medium - the ground or air. In a sense, if not specifically for communication, they represent an inefficiency - this is why sound dampening and solid insulation are things.

Even without the science to verify this, most people can easily intuit that constant exposure to sustained, loud noise is not healthy - for any bird or person or other living creature.

I'm also fortunate enough to have obtained an extremely quiet part of NYC to live in. The trade off for having far fewer neighbors and peoples and traffic around (my home sits on the corner of two dead-ends) is that there is a commuter rail behind my house. But I'll take that over constant traffic and passer-by any day.

AFA: general discussion about over-population -- there are far too many people on this planet, but no one can simply dictate to another their choices about that. I would be grateful to see a gradual ebbing off of population trends, and more resources devoted to raising fewer, but healthier and happier, people. The only thing for it is constant education that clearly explains the real trade-offs that come from bringing more people than is sustainable into the world.

It is something I wish, in a sort of microcosm, my City's current administration would understand - but our government at the local level seems extremely willfully blind to. Instead of encouraging a more equitable population distribution, it seems as if the people with TONS of space more in our immediate sub and exurbs and the upper Hudson valley want not a single person more (when some limited population growth would be vital for their stagnant, isolated economies) and the City, which neither can nor should take anyone above its current threshold of ~9-10 million, is simply forced to.

The logic that "NYC is where the jobs are" is backwards and on its head - policies attracting new industries, and revitalizing old ones, would help balance the scales, and give small towns and large metropolis positive impact.

Last edited:

Most Reactions