Watch us grow! IRN and GCC babies =D

novembergypsy

Apr 20, 2015
I think another Olympian name would be fun, like Zeus or Hercules or Prometheus, for a boy. I dunno, just an idea. They are beyond adorable!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Precious photos, Dani!

SilverLining

May 5, 2015
Sugar Land, TX
Parrots
Charlie - CAG // Mango - Sun Conure // Tango - Gold Capped Conure // Alex - Indian Ringneck Parakeet
Hi, beautiful growing babies. I'm learning a lot from your pics.

Forgive me for if this a noobish question? Is this a good indication that conures and IRNs could live in harmony together?

I have a Sun that's about 9 weeks and would love to raise a IRN with it. But I don't know if that is such a good idea due to lack of experience.

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
They are so precious! What color is Koa? I've never seen a IRN that color. Beautiful!

Newbsi

Jul 18, 2015
Saratoga Springs NY
Parrots
Gollum - Senegal
Hatch Day- 5/8/15 &

Dobby- Indian Ringneck
Hatch Day- 7/16/15
They are so precious! What color is Koa? I've never seen a IRN that color. Beautiful!

Never mind. I went back and read it again ( I was too distracted by the pictures!)
Still a beautiful color!

OP
SilverSage

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Hi, beautiful growing babies. I'm learning a lot from your pics.

Forgive me for if this a noobish question? Is this a good indication that conures and IRNs could live in harmony together?

I have a Sun that's about 9 weeks and would love to raise a IRN with it. But I don't know if that is such a good idea due to lack of experience.

Sadly, the reason I stopped updating this thread is that Koa died. This year has been the most gut wrenching time of my life. I have suffered the loss of several birds both to death and to theft, and nearly lost two more to heavy metal toxicity. Koa aspirated several hours after hand feeding. Both my vet and my mentor who specializes in IRNs said I could not have predicted it. It seems that he must have bumped his crop hard, or been bumped by Titan, and aspirated partially. I had fed him at 12noon, and at 4pm when I went to check on him he just looks a little bit more sedate than normal, but I thought I saw a tiny glimmer of moisture inside his nares. I called my friend over for a second opinion, and we both decided "probably nothing, but better safe than sorry." I took him right to the vet, 40 minutes away. He died on the exam table. The vet said it was pretty clear what had happened, and that it had been AFTER I put him back, shortly before I went to check on him, based on how fast he went down.

Anyway, NO, this is NOT an indication that these two species should be housed together after weaning. At this age they are very young and benefit from being together, but I would not have housed them together after weaning, there is far too much of a size difference and a difference in "species personality" that could have led to issues.

Also, I DO NOT recommend raising your own baby. I am a breeder and have experience hand feeding. The myth that you bond better with a bird that you raise yourself is just that, a MYTH and a dangerous one. Please read the many threads here on the dangers of hand feeding. What happened to Koa is just one of the many things that can go wrong even if YOU do everything right.

danielbracey0

Aug 14, 2015
Aww I'm so so sorry for your loss, that's so sad and as you say you couldn't of known this was going to happen, just one of life's sad twists but at least KOA had a great life even if it was short lived.

Most Reactions