We just buried Pepito the canary

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Rest in peace, my friend.
He passed away 7:30 yesterday morning.
I buried him with a note from me and a tiger lily.

I am so sorry he passed away and I was unable to help him recover but I am relieved he died so peacefully. It reminded me of an animal being euthanized actually. I never saw any of my other pets die so gently before. I am grateful that he did not appear to have suffered.

Gilbert was on my shoulder and my three dogs stood by his grave while I buried him. My little Pinto seemed as if he understood my sadness, kept sniffing and looking in the grave, and then he took this very submissive pose and lay right beside the grave, lowering his head to the ground with ears down. I swear it seemed like some kind of submissive reverence. Strange as it sounds, I really appreciated it!!

I am going to look for some kind of memorial stone. I left Pepito in the shade of my most favorite maple tree, the one always full of birds singing. It seemed like the right place!

I found a little piece of carrot on my living room wall this morning and splash marks from his last bath and those silly things made me miss him so much.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I'm sorry for your loss!!!!! At least Pepito isn't suffering anymore... RIP Pepito!!!!

PetoftheDay

Dec 27, 2010
Boston area, MA
Rest in peace, little one! Now fly and join the rainbow of happy birds at the Rainbow Bridge, and chirp some messages to your human as she's sleeping, to let her know all is well!

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I am so sorry :( R.I.P little guy! at least he went peacefully and had a good life with you.

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Here is an oldie I found of him, from 7 yrs ago. [ame=http://youtu.be/-NitjUamESM]An Old clip of Pepito - YouTube[/ame]
:) Ah that cheerful little guy! He loved my new kitchen light fixture (the Pottery Barn one I had mentioned in another post, the 16 canning jars), and every time I put it at maximum brightness, he would start singing. I thought that was so funny. This morning when I slid the dimmer switch to bright, I kind of smiled and wished I could hear him............
I have mp3 clips of him on my ipod too--maybe i'm a little crazy but I love canary song and why not hear MY canary's song? Good memories.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I love to hear my canary sing too!!!! I've always wanted them then one day my friend took me to another friend's house and that's when I found out he breeds canaries and he's been doing it for many many years. He got me a pair of his babies and loved them ever since.

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh I am so sorry for your loss!!! :( He was a beautiful lil birdy! I bet he is having a great time in heaven!!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
I am so sorry for your loss of little Pepito. He was such a pretty bird with such a beautiful song. I am so glad you have that video to remember him by. Hugs to you

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Oh no! Was just ready your other Thread and was thinking he was getting better! :(. Sorry for your loss.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
awwww, I had to go out earlier and couldn't respond until now.
god I started reading your post and my eyes starting springing tears, I just couldn't help it.

I have my pet canaries and out of all of my birds, they are my absolute favourites!!

I too have had those precious little ones die in my hands, and they seem to go so peacefully, taking their last breaths......oh god, there go my tears again.

I am very attached to my Mango, just like you were to your Pepito, I wish we were closer, we could share canary stories :)

you should be proud that you gave him his last days in the best way possible....happy!

chippy

Feb 16, 2013
Parrots
2 Indian Ringnecks, Tiki (DH's) and Pippin (mine), 1 lovebird, Gemma (DD's) and 1 in birdy Heaven... RIP, Wilbur.
So sorry for your loss (((hugs)))

OP
ruffledfeathers

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
So I got a memorial stone for Pepe's grave. I know it is very "dog like" but i liked this particular one better than the more generic one and because there are three paw prints and the three dogs stood at the grave with me when i buried him, it seemed fitting.
Pepito's grave | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Most Reactions

Latest posts