Weaning sick Sun Conure

lmwilson428

Feb 3, 2013
Media
Lowell, IN
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hello,

My name is Lauren. I am new to this forum. I have a 11 week old Sun Conure named Mango, that I got from a breeder at 8 weeks of age. I have several questions reguarding him. Here is the whole story and am hoping for some experienced answers and advise.

I had a lovebird that I hand fed and raised many years ago and do not remember it being such a difficult process. If I knew, I would of got Mango after he was weaned. I should of looked more into the breeder that I got him from too, because now I think he was only doing it for the money. He had a lot of baby birds for sale on his website and at 8 weeks Mango was very infantile, hardly walking, not perching, not introduced to any food other than formula yet, ect...

He started sneezing clear wet mucous a few days after we brought him home, but otherwise fine eating 20cc formula three times a day and I was starting to introduce pellets, fruits, and veggies. Took him to a aviary vet and they gave him a antibiotic, He weighed 125g at the vet that day (has not flown yet). He hated the antibiotic and the next day refused his syringe feedings, I gave made him take mouthfuls until he would take atleast 1-2 tsp. We stopped the antibiotic after 3 doses wondering if that was the reason he was refusing to eat, since the sneezing could be viral anyways. He then started taking his formula more and sneezing was less frequent.

Less than a week later he started sounding congested in his chest, especially after he would fly. Took him back to the vet, they think it could be a air sac infection and changed his antibiotic, said his air sacs sound crackly, his lungs didn't sound bad. He weighed 105g (empty Crop and now flying). He very seldom breaths with his beak open, does not tail bob, is active, playful, energetic, color looks good, interested in solid foods and pellets, but is starting to refuse is formula again. He either refuses all together or bobs his head for a few seconds for me to get maybe 5-12cc in him and then will refuse to take anymore. He has also got very sloppy letting some of it dribble out of his beak. He won't take much of it from a spoon.

This has been going on for a week now, he doesn't sound better, but not worse. He is eating better, but still only about 1-2 tsp three to four times a day, plus atleast 2-3 times a day I put fresh pellets, fruit, and veggies in his bowls and water. He nibbles at the food and crumbles the pellets, but doesn't fill up his crop or seem to swallow much of the solid foods. I have never seen him drink from his water. I have a appt in 2 days for a recheck at the vet.

I did buy a gram scale and he has been ranging from 105-112g. He is in his own room with a heater and humdifier. We try to keep the room at between 78-85 degree's.
I was told at 10 weeks to cut out one feeding, but with him not taking near the 20cc usual, I am scared he won't get enough nutrition. I hate to keep feeding 3-4 times a day because I am scared he won't learn to fill up on his own.

I am wondering if this is part of a normal weaning process. Should I only feed formula twice a day even if he only takes 5-12cc? Will he then learn to swallow and not just mouth the food? At first I figured smaller frequent feeding will be best to get his weight back up and give him nutrition to fight off his illness, but wonder if I am then messing with his weaning process.

Also, has anyone else had a sick parrot that sounded congested? I hope my vet isn't misdiagnosing or mistreating Mango. I have become very attached to him and just want him better. He has been on Doxycicline for almost 6 days now, shouldn't he be sounding better by now? I am also hoping that he is not aspirating his fomula. He sounds more congested sometimes after feedings. Does anyone know of birds that have recovered from respiratory illnesses?

Any advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Lauren and Mango :) :orange:

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries
Hi Lauren and welome to the forum & congrats on your new addition...sounds like you have your hands full, and not a very good introduction to a newly purchased bird either.
It infuriates me to have breeders who do not properly take care of/wean their babies, clearly they are just in it for the money,and have no respect for a living creature.

I breed lovebirds,cockatiels, finches, and have done conures in the past. You are right, 8 weeks is way behind in development for a bird. He should be flying,weaned(or very soon) and should be well on his way to being better developed than he currently is.
It's not really a problem, (other than his health issue) he's just behind.

I'm assuming you are feeding him the same formula as the breeder did.If you are, then that is good. Only feed him what he wants to eat, encourage a little more, but then leave it. It sounds to me like he's in the process of wanting real food rather than that
baby stuff'.
give him what he likes to eat, you can introduce the nutritional foods a little later.
try cooked brown rice with corn and peas. It's one of my favourites I like to introduce to my baby birds around 4 weeks of age. Millet is also good, it teaches them to learn how to peck and eat. cut off about 2 inches and place it in a low bowl. try that for the first week daily.
Drinking water from a bowl usually comes after attempting to try and eat. It takes longer for them to realize that water is in a bowl and to drink it....all my baby birds have been that way. they eventually figure it out.
continue the hand feedings but only what he wants, and weigh him every other day.
There is plenty of nutrition in the formula, while he learns how to eat real food.

Just put in what he likes. Try a good quality seed, mixed with pellets, and give a separate bowl for veggies. fruit is ok, but does not have much nutritional value to it.

It's very important you finish the medication that a vet gives you. If your having trouble giving it to him and he won't take it, call the vet, and they will suggest something else.

as for the temperature of the room sounds a bit high, I'd reduce it to around 71-73 degrees. He is fully feathered and doesn't require any further heat.

if he's not worse and not any better than he's not improving. Please communicate this to your vet, as we can only help so much on here. I'm sure other members will jump in with some good advice :)

OP
lmwilson428

lmwilson428

Feb 3, 2013
Media
Lowell, IN
Parrots
Sun Conure
Thanks Crimson!

Yes, I am feeding the same formula as the breeder. I will definitely try the brown rice with peas and corn. He loves grapes, that is about the only thing right now I can count on him eating on his own. I have been trying a variety of vegetables bc I know fruits aren't too nutritious for him, but he seems to like every one I have given him! I did recently try milet spray, he is interested in it so far.

I will definitely finish the antibiotic! They grape flavored it, but i still have to force him to take it. I will reduce the heat in the room. I have googled and read so much about several things and each say something different.

I have talked to my vet and have the recheck appt in 2 days. I am just not sure what else they can do differently for him. I don't know if the commonly see this in birds or if this antibiotic is the right treatment. They keep telling me the antibiotic needs time to work and to monitor his weight. He lost weight initially, but has been stable the past week. I just want him to sound better already!

At what point should I start eliminating feedings? I am not going to force him anymore and let him take what he wants, but is it normal to take 5-12cc at each feeding with nibbling food? Is he taking enough for me to cut out a fed? His crop is never as full as it was when he was taking 20cc three times a day, is that normal?

Have you heard much about birds sneezing and congestion and how its treated? His breathing sounds so wet, mostly after flying or getting worked up after taking his medicine. I am worried he won't make it if he doesn't start sounding better soon. We didn't opt for all the blood testing for diseases and such, vet wasn't pushing it and it was pretty expensive.

Thanks for the advice!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Ask the vet about mixing the antibiotic with his formula, natural/organic fruit juice or plain greek yogurt. Or even putting the medications on the grapes that he'll eat?

When birds start to fledge, they need to lose some weight so that they can become airborne. This may be why he's eating less. As long as he's at a healthy weight for his size and the infection doesn't get worse, he should do fine. I have heard of conures taking as long as 16 weeks to wean, and a sick bird does tend to take longer to wean than a healthy one.

I hope the check up goes well. I do wonder though if he might have gotten aspirated some when being fed, hence the 'wet noise' sound while breathing? Although it is normal for birds to become out of breath after an excursion, what about going back to feeding by a spoon? Or a dixie cup? Allow him to take what he wants to eat and that's it. Be sure to keep an eye on his weight, too.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Like it's been mentioned already, babies will take less formula and lose a bit of weight to take flight.

Your temperature that you've been keeping at 78-85 degrees and keeping a humidifier in there is actually a GOOD thing! I wouldn't change that temperature until he is fully healthy then you can drop the temperature down a bit to get him adjusted. I had to do the same exact thing in the past when my birds caught a virus.

I would keep up with the formula and don't cut it until he is fully healthy! Feed it to him whenever he wants formula. You can wean him later when he is healthier. I don't remember what flavor my vet mix their meds in, I think it was cherry flavored as it was red in color, they seem to love the flavor and sit there and let me feed it to them. It is very important to keep up with the weight right now plus the temperature cause if he is ill, the weight can drop rapidly by loss of body heat and insufficient nutrient. I would NOT worry so much about giving treats and such at this moment. Pellets are formulated food that don't help much with weight gain, that's why I said keep up with the formula. I ran into the weight issue with pellets while they were sick and on meds. I had to make home made stuffs to feed them with high protein. But the formula will do the trick. Good Luck!

erik7181

Jun 2, 2010
Media
Albums
NYC
Parrots
Sun conure
Pickle George
Green cheek
Pepsey
My sun started geting sick about a day or two after I got him, he had clear discharge and one nare was always cloged up. The vet gave him cyipro and he was better within a week. I think that certin meds are giveing and cover a wide spectrum of sickness so if he doesn't do better on that one the vet may just change it. The meds iv delt with are cypro and baytril that may be spelled wrong. But the cypro is for respitory infections and the baytril is a wide spectrum. I was told so I'm not 100%

OP
lmwilson428

lmwilson428

Feb 3, 2013
Media
Lowell, IN
Parrots
Sun Conure
Mango is really starting to eat more pellets, veggies, and fruits on his own and supplementing with the formula when he wants it. His weight has been stable, he has even gained a few grams. He is still congested though. Vet said to continue his antibiotic and monitor his weight. I don't think they really know what it is. I think they were treating for Psittacosis, but said he should of responded to the antibiotic by now. Doubt it's Aspergillosis bc he would be sicker. Maybe it's a virus or he keeps aspirating bits of formula. He isn't in distress, is active and playful, but is starting to sound more congested at rest. We are so worried about him and wish he would start sounding better!

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Make sure you give the full dose of meds that the vet ordered unless he changes it. If you don't give the meds for the time required you run the risk of creating a more antibiotic resistent bug that will be harder to treat:)

94lt1

Nov 9, 2012
SouthEast TX
Parrots
Monte..Scarlet macaw, Seminole...yellow napped amazon, Starburst... sun conure...Rain, cinnamon green cheek.
My sun makes a "congested" noise all the time.. like a cooing sort of..its a playful noise...keep that in mind..he's the only bird we have that does this...

Also, try bringing the bird into the bathroom and letting him breathe in the humidity from the shower...it can help.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
My sun makes a "congested" noise all the time.. like a cooing sort of..its a playful noise...keep that in mind..he's the only bird we have that does this...

Also, try bringing the bird into the bathroom and letting him breathe in the humidity from the shower...it can help.

That's what the humidifier in his bird room is for, does the same thing. With the higher temperature, it will be humid enough. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts