Weird Poop?

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Hello,

I've noticed something weird a few times on Jasper's paper at the bottom of the cage. I don't think it's poop, but it looks like a small cluster of seeds all stuck together with a yellowish piece. It has a strong smell, not really sure how to describe it.

Do you have any idea what it could be?

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Anything coming out of him with a strong smell is going to necessitate a vet visit I would think. Sorry I can't be of more help but I never had anything like that.

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
It's so strange, because his normal poops are on the paper, but then there was a few clusters of this (not in the poop)

Graven

Dec 17, 2014
Hey Katie. Is it possible for you to take a picture? Maybe it will be possible for people to examine what it is :)

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
I don't think it's poop...there's a bunch of seeds stuck to a kernel of corn. Still would appreciate if you look please:

01.jpg

02.jpg

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Wow. I truly have no idea. I've never seen anything like that. Hopefully someone else who has will chime in, but in the meantime I agree with Laura. You should take Jasper to the vet.

At this point you can't tell what it is, but it's a reasonable working assumption that it is some form of excretion from Jasper. And any form of smelly, unfamiliar excretion could be a sign of a health issue.

Now it's possible, of course, that the cause is something external that you hadn't even considered. And you should examine the area surrounding his cage for any sign this is indeed the case, as smelly foreign agents can't be good, either. But the safest course of action at this time is to get him to the vet. Health issues in birds can go downhill VERY quickly.

I hope everything checks out just fine, Katie.

Most Reactions

Latest posts