Welcome Altair (Al)

jaycee

Jul 26, 2015
Tiffin Ohio
Parrots
I had a 15 yo quaker parrot that just recently passed away. And I now have a gcc named Altair (Al) hatch date 3-13-15.
jaycee-albums-new-baby-picture14995-altair-s-2nd-home-pic.jpg

jaycee-albums-new-baby-picture14996-altair-s-al-first-home-pic-hatched-3-13-15.jpg

Welcome home Altair (Al). He is supposed to be a cinnamon - yellow sided split. I'll have better pics in a few days. Right now he's just scared.

Altair literally means bird in Arabic. It is also the name of the main star in the constellation Orion.

Al's hatch date is 3-13-15.

Last edited:

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
He's a sweetie, congrats and may you have many happy years together.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Very cute! Enjoy many happy years with your new buddy!

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Cingratulations, Altair is adorable!

OP
jaycee

jaycee

Jul 26, 2015
Tiffin Ohio
Parrots
I had a 15 yo quaker parrot that just recently passed away. And I now have a gcc named Altair (Al) hatch date 3-13-15.
Thank you everyone. Altair has been exploring his cage all night. He's spent hours on the swing, small perch, and the very top corner of the cage. He seems to pay attention when we talk to him moving his head and beak. He doesn't want us touching him yet but he doesn't bite when I pick him up. Unless he did it in middle of the night, he hasn't eaten or drank anything. But I keep putting him by food and water every couple hours. I'm hoping since he feels less stressed today that he will eat something. Also his wings are clipped and this is a big cage I worry when he hangs by 1 talon. He didn't seem to have trouble sleeping on and off. But any thoughts on making sure he's at least drinking?

OP
jaycee

jaycee

Jul 26, 2015
Tiffin Ohio
Parrots
Yes its the camera angle that make the bars seem wide. I was trying to get best pic of him without the bars showing. It didn't work lol.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Congratulations Jennifer, Altair is gorgeous! Love the name:)
Have you tried giving him any fruits and veggies yet? Especially fruits have water in them, so if he will eat them you can be sure he is hydrating.

OP
jaycee

jaycee

Jul 26, 2015
Tiffin Ohio
Parrots
No I haven't tried fresh food yet. Was having trouble getting him to eat anything at first. But just got home from Walmart and caught him eating and drinking. He also likes to bathe in his water dish. Yay! So I'm relieved to know he's comfortable enough to eat and drink.

OP
jaycee

jaycee

Jul 26, 2015
Tiffin Ohio
Parrots
jaycee-albums-new-baby-picture15004-altair-such-handsome-boy.jpg

I finally got a good pic.

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Taco: female cinnamon pearl cockatiel - hatched: ~September 2013, Gotcha date: Nov 29th, 2013
Tiki: Male yellow-sided green cheek conure - hatched April 10th, 2015, Gotcha date May 24, 2015
I am going saying this for Al's safety, but it seems the bar spacing is too big and he might get his head caught and hurt himself. I believe the bar spacing is suppose to be no wider than 1/2".

OP
jaycee

jaycee

Jul 26, 2015
Tiffin Ohio
Parrots
Thank you Taco. We are really taking that into advisement and have honestly already thought of that. Any ideas on how to fix current cage until we can get a more suitable cage for him?

Kalel

Jan 2, 2015
Canada
Parrots
Sun conure named Lemon (nickname Moonie) hatched August 28, 2014, BFA Professor Green hatched August 22, 2014, Macaw Flash hatched Sept 15, 2007
Congrats! I also love the name! Enjoy your new little guy!

TacoNTiki

May 27, 2015
Calgary, AB, Canada
Parrots
Thank you Taco. We are really taking that into advisement and have honestly already thought of that. Any ideas on how to fix current cage until we can get a more suitable cage for him?

I don't really recommend any homemade grill unless you know 100% that it is a safe metal because of poisoning. Best to just keep a diligent eye on him until you get a different cage.

OP
jaycee

jaycee

Jul 26, 2015
Tiffin Ohio
Parrots
Instead of creating a new thread I'm just going to keep this one going with updates.
It hasn't been a week yet and Altair is settling in great. He's bonding quicker than I expected him to although he is still trembled a bit when I'm holding him. But his cage is in the living room with us and he spends his time in there that he wants but lets us know when he wants out to be with us by going to the door and going "beep beep". And the beep beep is becoming more and more frequent. We gently hold him with a finger or 2 over his wings so he dont try to fly since his wings were clipped (I'll be happy when they grow back). We do this just so he dont hurt himself. He seems to like it that way too. Although he is starting to nuzzle my neck now take treats from my hand. He never bites which I'm greatful for. But investigates all jewelry and painted nails. I think I'm in love lol.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That's great news, Jennifer! Sounds like that gorgeous little guy has already stolen your heart:)

Most Reactions