Welcome My New Bby GW Macaw

Ahmed.Milo

Sep 9, 2016
Dade city, Florida
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Sun Conure, Green Wing Macaw
I got a green winged macaw last night. I always loved them and I think they are the second prettiest macaw after the hyacinth macaw. I went to take a look at her last night and could not resist not to take her home with me lol.

This is my first macaw to own. She/he is 14 weeks old. still eating the baby formula and little seeds and fruits. I have couple of questions for you guys since I never owned a macaw before. When does GW usually get weaned? and after it is weaned what do you guys use as their diet? (I am planning to feed her/him fruits vegetables and seeds).and where do i do the DNA sexing exam? I saw couple of websites online, do you guys recommend them?

Any advice or recommendations on training, weaning, and anything else will be appreciated.

thank you for reading.

Attachments

• received_1918758998155298.jpg
    received_1918758998155298.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 235
  • 20160914_142151.jpg
    20160914_142151.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 212

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Hi and congrats. You have just adopted a 2 yr old human baby, who cant talk. Go to the Macaw sub forum here, and read EVERY THING by Birdyman66 , read it out loud to your new baby, several times. Seriously. Diet, Fruits, veggies and pellets, and a SMALL amount of seed and nuts (mostly as treats), available from now on, as the weaning process proceeds, which can take any where from now or as long as 5 or 6 months. Be carefull feeding him formula, read up on that, please. Its not as simple as shoving food down his throat, and if done incorrectly .could kill him.

He is beautiful!

OP
A

Ahmed.Milo

Sep 9, 2016
Dade city, Florida
Parrots
thank you. I'll have to checl birdyman66 post. thank you for the info. I have hand fed bby indian ringnecks, conure and african gray before but never a macaw. she didn't want any formula today but maybe because of the new environment. I just think 14 weeks is too young to be weaned and I would like her to start eating more of formula than seeds and fruits, I believe formula is more nutritious for them now.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Welcome. Best regards to you and your new toddler. Do heed Wrench's good advice.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Congrats on such a beautiful bird. Here is a link to Birman's post-http://www.parrotforums.com/macaws/56384-big-beak-o-phobes-guide-understanding-macaw-beaks.html

Also, please have a plan for when she starts trying to fly if you plan to take her out and about. Such a young bird would be an ideal candidate for harness training and it would probably be much easier to get her used to a harness now than later:)

OP
A

Ahmed.Milo

Sep 9, 2016
Dade city, Florida
Parrots
actually she started flying a week ago according to the breeder, she hit a wall and the breeder cliped her wings so no worries about her flying for now

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Congratulations. Welcome.
Stay tuned for lots of great thoughts on macaws, clipping, handling...
Glad you found us.

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
actually she started flying a week ago according to the breeder, she hit a wall and the breeder cliped her wings so no worries about her flying for now

Even if she is clipped for now, best to train her to wear a harness while still a baby. Right now, everything is new to her and it is always much easier for a baby bird to accept things like having a harness put on VS waiting until later in life and then trying to get an older bird who is not interested one iota in wearing one. I am trying to get my teenaged amazon to learn to wear one. It is not going well and progress is at a snails pace:(. Get her started used to wearing one before she gets too used to not wearing one!

Most Reactions