B&G Cage Size?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
I know bigger is better and that's what I want. But a lot of cages I've seen online for Macaws range from 36-40inches in length and about 50-68inches tall.

To me that seems small :/ I did find one that is a divider cage that's 80 inches long if you take the divider out. With the divider each side is 40Lx40dx61h(I could always put my Zon on the other and block their sight of one another. It seems small but then I look at photos and it looks like the bird can move around a lot.

I almost have thought to just buying a walk in aviary but I've heard those don't make great cages.

What do you all use? Any suggestions on which are the best? I want room for toys and play. Mind you I'm setting up a flight/play room as well for everyone.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
40 inches wide, at least 36 inches deep, and 70 inches tall is a minimum in my books. I've seen a B&G in a cage that size, and it is a comfortable size. It's by no means "small", but I do know what you mean. It's nice to think that our fids will have an expansive space to use while we're gone.

If you're concerned about that size being too small, I would go with the double macaw cages, or alternatively I'd just go with the walk-in aviary. IMHO I'd pick a walk-in aviary over a double macaw cage for cleaning purposes, and because then my bird has lots of space width/height/depth wise. More room for neat hanging ropes, boings, and toy placement. Why is it that you think they don't make good cages?

SilleIN

Aug 18, 2016
Denmark
Parrots
Lots of parrots, most of them rescues
My B&Gs cage is 40x32x72. It is a good cage size, but Sugar is only in the cage during the night and the rare occasion, when no ones home. If he should be kept in the cage during the day also, I would probably either go for a walk-in aviary or one of those aluminium cages, where you can design the cage yourself and would then make it at least 80x40x80.

How long are you planning the B&G should be in the cage at a time?

Why should the walk-in aviary be no good? I know member psychocircus91 have just bought a very cool walk-in aviary. Maybe you can ask him of pros and cons?

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
He'd be in the cage while I'm at work but free to roam his flight 'room' and the house with me when I'm home. We're looking into take a room that's 13'x9' and dividing it into 2 sections. One for the 3 Conures, and one for the large birds. Each with their own toys and perches. My Zon is blind and is content to relax in front of the window and relax, while my Conures, in another area be little clowns :) by splitting the room everyone can be out and play while being safe from one another. My Zon will get her own time out while the Macaw stays with me. She's one that loves scratches but prefers her quiet sunlight :)

We are still working on a design so we can make sure the Conures have and stay on one side, and the others on their own. I'm also trying to work just a spot for my blind Zon of her own. But as of right now the plans are to make a giant 't' down the room, cages in the longer part, and the play 'room' squared at the top. They won't be left unsupervised at any time while out of course.

As for the Walk Ins... I've heard some say, not here thought, that walk ins can bring about territorial Aggression easier as it's a bigger enclosed space. Heck my Conures are cage aggressive which is delt with by simple respect. I open the door, they come out on their terms (for food of course ha-ha), naturally everyone would be treated the same. I've heard they can be hard to keep clean as well. Plus the sheer size of them would take up half the room ROFL. I figured I could do with something a little smaller with the addition of the play room. But this way everyone gets out and about for play for hours daily, though the Conures would rather play with their toys... Typical kids when they hot a playground.... Sorry mom! This is better :D

Other than work I'm usually always home. I'm not a people person and have the social life of a honey badger ha-ha. Add on that i have a light case of FIBRO and most of my day is spent relaxing and reading while playing with my fids(more than a few books have fallen victim ha-ha). So needless to say I spend a lot of time around everyone. Getting this new space will allow me to give everyone time with me while the others play and vise versa. And I can keep an eye on everyone.

Like I said the design is still on the works. The Macaw will basically be out from the time I get home, till bed, and on days off he'll pretty much be with me or in his 'play zone'.

nicolino

Sep 9, 2015
S.Florida
Parrots
Scarlet Macaw
Double Yellow Head Amazon
This one maybe ??

Attachments

• k2-_3038f614-451c-42cc-b605-e4d592a25d00.v1.jpg-cd7b81865bd1ad9cd58ab85eff8c86df1fdfb042-optim-4.jpg
    k2-_3038f614-451c-42cc-b605-e4d592a25d00.v1.jpg-cd7b81865bd1ad9cd58ab85eff8c86df1fdfb042-optim-4.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 302
  • 20150910_193753.jpg
    20150910_193753.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 259
  • IMG_0393.jpg
    IMG_0393.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 269
OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
I did look at that one! I was leaning between that and the A&E or HQ Double Macaw Cage.

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/
Mine is 46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch and is plenty big for my Greenwing & B&G.

b7094337c5c7c1b259fecdf4302d751f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
LOL, bird rooms are fine until they find some little imperfection in the sheet rock or window sill and decide its a great place to start chewing. 1 month later , with a big hole in the wall, the bird goes into a cage.

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
LOL, bird rooms are fine until they find some little imperfection in the sheet rock or window sill and decide its a great place to start chewing. 1 month later , with a big hole in the wall, the bird goes into a cage.

ROFL exactly! That's why the we are building a room within a room. No access to walls and windows. Just open space for toys and perches :). My Conure is great at turning things into pieces and missing chunks.

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots

Blancaej

Apr 5, 2013
Middlebury, VT
Parrots
CAG Quincy - BD 3/27/00. Gotcha 6/00 ~ GW Macaw Savannah - BD 6/21/93. Gotcha 4/13 ~ B&G Macaw Coqui - BD 9/3/03. Gotcha 10/13 ~ Blue Crown Conure Sidney - BD Unknown Approx 5 Years Old. Gotcha 6/15/

macawluv

Jan 14, 2015
Milwaukee, Wi
Parrots
Blue and Gold Macaw
I use Kings Corner Cages for both of my macaws. I feel like they are a good size... But mine are out a lot so I would factor that in as well.

AirtransCrash

Apr 28, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Parrots
Tess - 4YO female Blue and Gold
Chico - 13YO male Blue and Gold rescue
Mine is 46-Inch by 36-Inch by 78-1/4-Inch and is plenty big for my Greenwing & B&G.

b7094337c5c7c1b259fecdf4302d751f.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My blue and golds both have those for their cages. It was such an improvement in size for Chico that his demeanor and attitude in general had a noticeable change.
If you have a bar breaking bird I doubt it would hold up long but mine are fine after two years of use and abuse.
CBF9EBD2-357B-4591-B3A6-7F478044FA43_zpsw6vqxx9c.jpg

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Holy geezz! It is bigger than I thought ha-ha. I guess my philosophy was what I had with the Conures lol. They are each in flight cages about 30L x 18D x 30H. They have plenty of room for their toys. Plus they get out a lot. Spoiled little things :)

I just wanted to spoil the Macaw the same :) I looked at a divider cage that's 80L x 40D x 78H. My greatest worry was the bar thickness. He'll have more than enough toys to keep him busy but I want something that could hold up in case he's a chewer lol

AirtransCrash

Apr 28, 2015
Tacoma, WA
Parrots
Tess - 4YO female Blue and Gold
Chico - 13YO male Blue and Gold rescue
I will warn you with these cages the packaging isn't that great so if a bent bar or two would bother you then you might consider other cages.

My birds have managed two bent bars but so far no busted welds.

MacawBeaks

Jun 6, 2016
CA
Parrots
Parakeet, Cockatiel, and experience with cockatoos, macaws, conures, African greys, etc..
I don't own a macaw but to me, I think you need an aviary. Like at least 5ft W, 10 feet D, and 6 ft H. Unless your macaw is out all day and sleeps in the cage at night. They'll do fine in other cages and be perfectly fine and happy but I'm sure they wouldn't mind a super cage.

Most Reactions