Welcome to the ranks...

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
...of the unemployed. It happened on Tuesday. I worked for a large casual dining restaurant company for almost 13 years (12 years and 10 months almost to the day). With the current economy the sales have been dismal. 5 years ago we have 6 restaurant brands, we're down to 2, the others have been sold. And they're cutting head count almost every week.

I can honestly say it wasn't really a shock nor was it really a bad thing. I've been pretty unhappy in my job for more than a year. They made it as painless as possible...6 months of severance, I still get profit sharing (if there is any), placement service and I can file for unemployment benefits since it was it was a not-for-fault termination.

So, I cried a bit when I came home on Tuesday. I weeded the yard and made some phone calls made and started a little networking. Today, I'm working on my resume, doing some more networking and running a couple errands - on my Vespa.

I've never been in this position before, so it's taking some getting used to. I don't want to wait too long to really look for another job, but I also don't want to jump right in. I want to be somewhere that I enjoy. However, current conditions may make that a little too optimistic.

But in the mean time, my house will be cleaner, yard will be weeded and birds will get more attention.

SharonC

May 26, 2010
Every cloud has a silver lining! Enjoy the time off...it's temporary, so think of it as just a little vacation!

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I am so sorry this happened to you. Things like this do have a way of working out and you should be happier in a new job. I ran across a person who was selling their bird for money because they were out of work. How sad is this!!

Quantumcat

Feb 21, 2010
Media
Bathurst, NSW
Parrots
One Eclectus, Scarlett
There's definitely a silver lining - you can do loads of things that you never had time for before. You can start a huge painting, build a pretty new playstand for the birds, teach them some elaborate tricks, paint your house, redesign or maintain your garden, write some poetry or short stories, see your friends heaps ... something a friend of mine did when laid off (at the age of 23! I'm sure that's a record) is go to uni everyday and sit in on random classes until he found something interesting (introductory paleontology). I borrowed an old edition of the textbook for him and he studied the course! He found another job a month later but he had made some friends in the class by then and borrowed their notes for the rest of the semester.

You can hone your eccentricity by not having a job. I have been a serial student for the last four years and have become an expert at eccentric hobbies :)

Last edited:
OP
HRH Di

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
Thanks everyone. I'm actually looking forward to the new challenge. Luckily, we're stable enough with my husband's job and my severance that it's not terrifying. I'd like to take a few weeks off, but I don't know that it's going to happen...seems way too irresponsible. So, I'm doing a little bit every day, but at the moment...not freaking out - unless I don't find a new job before my severance runs out which is February. That's when things will get scary.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
That's sad news, Di. I'm sorry to hear about that.

It's nice that the others are encouraging you to have positive thinking; I can only echo that. Having the spare time is a nice thing to think about, you can certainly use it for the birds. They probably missed you while you were at work, and now you can take advantage of being out of work for awhile. Maybe spend some quality time bonding, training, etc. I'm sure there's lots to do to pass the time, because a woman's work is never really done. ;)

Crossing my fingers for you that you can find another job soon! It must be really scary and stressful right now, not having a job during the horrid state our economy is in.

Bobby34231

Jun 25, 2010
Media
Albums
Sarasota,Florida
Parrots
Quincy - Blue Throated Macaw, Skittles and Dusty - Rose Breasted Too's,
Joey - Yellow Crown Amazon, Ashley - CAG
Hey Di, sorry to hear about your situation, but look on the bright side of it, your out of a job you really didn't like, and get paid to have the chance to find one you will ;)...keep the faith, your in our thoughts and prayers :)

wildheart

Banned
Banned
Mar 16, 2010
South Africa
Hey Di, sorry to hear about your situation, but look on the bright side of it, your out of a job you really didn't like, and get paid to have the chance to find one you will ;)...keep the faith, your in our thoughts and prayers :)

Oom Bob, that was exactly what I was thinking!

If I was you then I would start looking for another job immediately, because you have 6 months on your side you can hopefully pick and choose. If you leave it for too late then you will most probable have to settle for what ever that comes up. :eek:

I really wish you all the best Di.

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Di so sorry to hear, I know how it feels I had been in the same situation 15 years ago.

I agree with wildheart, start looking now, something good might just pass through your fingers.

Here's a suggestion, could you try starting something from home?

Reason I am mentioning this ............ this is what I did

I was also retrenched, received a small lump sum. (two months pay)
I was petrified, being on my own with two kids, who were in school.
I did some homework until I found "IT" I thought as least this will help me out a bit.
I purchased, a few kg packets of nuts and dried fruit, pre-packed them in smaller packets, then sold them. I started out on a street corner, in my car. I made a small profit, purchased more and sold more.
I eventually saved enough to purchase a sealer, packets and had labels made.
I eventually promoted myself from the street corner, and started working from home.
I had the business registered etc, had many ups and downs, just like any other business. The business is now in it's 14th year running. Times have been extremely tough for the last 3 years, but somehow, someway, we have survived. God has been good to us, and I am forever grateful.

IF I CAN DO IT WITH MY "BIRD BRAIN" ANYONE CAN

Is there anything you could think of similar to what I do?
computer3.gif

Something will come up, God is good

Last edited:

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
HRH DI what's happening that side, you have been in my thoughts.
Are you remaining at home for a while, while seeking employment, perhaps you are working already !!!!
Please keep us updated as to your working status?

Most Reactions

Latest posts