so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
The short version is I swapped cages for Bella and Pacho. It was only an hour or two before I noticed the way Bella was grooming herself. When I checked closely I found two down feathers in her food dish. I got the strong impression she felt I was punishing her. I had to swap them back right away and everything was ok after that.

The details.
Pacho’s cage is large because it used to house 2 parrots (Plumas and Pacho). Bella’s cage is at best a medium sized cage. I’m not going to go into measurements here it’s not the point.

Since the loss of Plumas, Pacho (a rather small amazon parrot that is older and not very active) has this big cage all to herself. It made sense to me to give the larger cage to the younger and more active African Grey Bella.

I completely cleaned both cages, swapped the toys and first put Pacho in Bella’s cage. That part went fine.

Knowing Bella is a bit more sensitive to change I slowly put her in the entrance to the cage and left the door open. She flew out right away.

I sat with her for about ½ hour where she could see the cage and then tried again. It looked like she accepted it so I closed the door and watched. She climbed around and around (not unusual for her) and then settled down.

She settled down and started pulling out down feathers.
So both birds are back where they started from and appear to be happy with it. It’s just me that’s unhappy about the amount of room Bella has.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Too bad :(. It makes sense to us humans. If Bella only knew that she'd love the bigger cage if she'd let herself get used to it, since Pacho is wasting a lot of extra space. Are you sure she was pulling the down feathers out? Not just preening and they were falling out?

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Bella would probably get used to the larger cage, become more confident but at her pace and for that to happen it most likely needs to be empty for a while. Move things over slowly. When I have done this with Plum he has followed his fav toys reasonably quickly. It definitely appears to need to look like they choose not you IMO.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Kudos for trying to improve the cage situation, but their minds often work differently. Thanks for being sensitive to the outcome and working to keep them happy! Of course parrots can have a change of opinion instantly, so perhaps you can try the swap again in the future?

DRB

Jan 23, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
Perjo - Female CAG hatch Nov 2015
I wonder if the issue is b/c it was a cage that was known by the bird to be previously occupied by another bird? I wonder if you had a new cage that the birds never saw being occupied by another, if they would be OK with it.

OP
texsize

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Too bad :(. It makes sense to us humans. If Bella only knew that she'd love the bigger cage if she'd let herself get used to it, since Pacho is wasting a lot of extra space. Are you sure she was pulling the down feathers out? Not just preening and they were falling out?

No, I can't be sure. but I also can't take the chance and let her start plucking feathers again.
There are other things that might have caused a problem. The bigger cage ls less than a foot (8 inches) away from my YNA cage. Even though I blocked sight of Bingo she knew he was there and could hear him.

plumsmum2005
I did not think to do it that way (empty cage to start with). I thought she would feel more at home with the toys she was used to. Your point is a good one. If I try again I will do it as you suggest.

DRB
A new cage isn't in the cards right now but I would not rule it out. The cage she is in I bought online so I was unable to put my hands on it, really see how suitable it would be. When I bought Bella the pet shop told me they would give me a 15% discount on a new cage. When I went back to "collect" on there discount they reneged on the deal.

Bella now see's this cage as HER CAGE I just make sure she spends as much time outside of it as possible.

thanks for all the ideas.

Most Reactions

Latest posts