well, ugh.

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
Okay, Paisley is still flighted. I really do NOT want to clip. He is being trying. He has started to be "bossy" and now suddenly he is flying AWAY when I go to get him off his hanging basket or the curtain rod. I only do this when he is chomping on the cactus (not poisonous) or the window frame drywall. Now, while i can move the cactus I CANNOT move the wall. I'm more worried about the wall. I feel like this is dangerous for him. So I go to get him so he won't chew on the wall and he flies over to the basket. This of course frustrates me and I try to get him off the basket. Back and forth we go till I catch him. I do not want him doing this but don't know how to stop him. I was saying NO paisley right before I'd try to get him and I could stop saying no and just getting him but then he wouldn't learn that chewing the drywall was a No.
So the short story here is, I'd like to teach him to NOT chew drywall on windows and to NOT fly away. The not flying away part may not be in the books for us, but I'd at least like him to not commit suicide by chewing and ingesting drywall. :/

This happened a short time ago and after I caught him, after a chase that frightens him, I loved him for a second then put him in his cage and covered him for a bit. I opened door to let him out and he dodged me. So of course I put my finger right under him and he stepped up. I got him out and snuggled him to me for a few and now he's being sweeter than he's been in a week.

So my second point is, which I just went around and around to make is, Will the "bossiness" go away mostly after he is adjusted to being able to fly and make decisions on his own? He's just been so naughty lately and willful.

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Confidence levels are booming.
Time to start actively training him, target and distinct behavior patterns and a strict schedule should put a stop to it.

When he flies to the cactus just put him away. No pets, no snuggles just put him away and ignore him for a few. When he flies ELSEWHERE, places he should or comes to you willingly make a BIG fuss hyper happy behavior and such.

He's looking for attention. So only give it to him when he does favorable behavior. Since that little birdy mind is looking for ways to get it.. show him how he can.

After all, just as it is with kinds.. Any attention is good attention.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
There was a time when Boomer was getting all his flight feathers in and learning how to fly, that he was very unmanageable. I had to constantly take him off surfaces that were off limits. Overtime, we developed an understanding . He knew NO or HEY means he's been bad and will stop. But it did not happen over night, it's a gradual process. It gets easier with time, don't worry! I'm not there yet myself but I can tell you that it gets easier as they mature, just be consistent with the boundaries and rewards.

Just remember if you think you've reached the end of your rope, just put him away in his cage till you both calm down.

Last edited:
OP
Janedeaux

Janedeaux

Mar 10, 2012
Mississippi
Parrots
Sunday/gold capped hybrid conures: mystic and gypsy
Sun: Paisley
I guess I do need to work more on training. I haven't really yet and I hear that training a bird really can calm them and create an even stronger bond.

I am not at the end of my rope YET! But I have calmed down from earlier today when he was playing "keep away". We are really going to have to work on our naughtiness with some training though.

Wish us luck!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Rather than trying to stop the behavior, why not give him an alternative behavior? If you don't want him chewing on certain things then either limit his access to the area or place something in front of the item for him to chew on instead. Maybe even set up foraging stations throughout he room to keep him busy.

Every time Paisley flies to you, reward him. Every time Paisley flies to a spot he shouldn't be in, coax him down for a reward, give him a treat, then put him where you *do* want him and reward him for being there. Teach him to station.

Here's one article about some basic behaviors to teach a flighted parrot. I don't necessarily agree with everything the author says, but he does have some good information to take into consideration.

Obedience Training for Flighted Parrots by Greg Glendell

Most Reactions