We’re making progress!!!

Aavogaro

Jan 3, 2020
Austin, TX
Parrots
Fish & Blue - the budgie brat pack
Snoopy - lovable M whitefaced cockatiel
(Pending adoption) Paco - 25yo CAG
Here is Woodstock (now renamed Fish by my 15 year old) on my toddlers arm. I’d say that‘s a huge step. He seems to chill out pretty fast once out of the cage. He’s even being less crazy when I slowly reach in to take him out.

Question regarding veggies. How do you all feed

them? Dish/plate in the bottom of the cage or another for bowl on the bars?

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2019
New England
Parrots
4 budgies, 1 cockatiel, 1 canary winged parakeet
Here is Woodstock (now renamed Fish by my 15 year old) on my toddlers arm. I’d say that‘s a huge step. He seems to chill out pretty fast once out of the cage. He’s even being less crazy when I slowly reach in to take him out.

Question regarding veggies. How do you all feed

them? Dish/plate in the bottom of the cage or another for bowl on the bars?

That is such a nice photo, and great progress!

I offered veggies in a bowl and Skye wouldn’t go near them. Now I put them on a small plate on the bottom of the cage and he at least kicks them around. I’m not sure he eats any, but he does investigate. Sunny on the other hand isn’t interested in veggies at all yet. I also stab a leaf of romaine onto the end of perches and Skye nibbles a bit of it. He gets a green mark on his face when he does, and looks really silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Oh, WHAT a precious photo!!!

Congrats on the Fish progress.

Veggies? I'd suggest just playing around with them... see what works. You'll see all kinds of techniques. It's fun to experiment. Good luck!

9lhIlM0.jpg

bug_n_flock

Jan 2, 2018
Isolated Holler in the Appalachian Wilderness
Parrots
B&G Macaw, Galah, 5 cockatiels, 50 billion and a half budgies. We breed and do rescue. Too many to list each individual's name and age etc, but they are each individuals and loved dearly.
In my flock the cages with more birds in them tend to be more open to trying new stuff, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. They all have different personalities. I have one hen who will try just about anything no matter who is or isn't around. I wish they were all that easy.

Broccoli in the bars at face height next to a perch usually gets a nibble. Pasta with veggie sauce ALWAYS gets fully devoured(cannot just buy spaghetti tho unfortunately. Store bought stuff is very acidic and usually loaded with garlic and onion), kale on a perch or thru the bars is also usually eaten. Corn on the cob gets mixed results, carrots are pretty popular(and obvious if they've been at it as they get orange faces)... Overall I use a mix of techniques to get um to nibble. Face height thru the bars, a dish on the cage floor, and in a food cup are my usual go-to's, but there are as many ways to offer veggies as there are safe veggies to try offering, maybe more.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
That is adorable (the girl and the bird!) lol!!! CUTE!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
That is a Winner photo!

I always clip leafy greens to the bars, or poke them through with a stick. They seem to eat them better hanging. On top of the cage I use a clear glass Casserole dish, or clear square glass brownie dish, something sturdy and clear and out my veggies there. They seem to try them outside of the cage better. And they don't like to stick their heads in something's dark. Having everything's spread out seen to help to.

Most Reactions