What a day

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
What a day I've had and it's only 2pm.

I went to work as usual, and had Jasper on a Skype call as usual on one of my monitors. Suddenly I saw him fall from his boing, and I immediately made the window bigger to see what was happening.

The clip that I use to attach spray millet to his cage was clamped around his toe. As soon as I saw this I grabbed my stuff and bolted it home. ~15 min later I get home, he was back on top of his boing, with his sore foot tucked up, clamp still on. I unclamped it and he refused to come to me. Lots of coaxing and he came out.

No blood, no mark on his toe. I talked calmly to him and he made cute noises. I called my vet, told them what happened and they said it sounds like he's fine but just in case of a fracture to bring him in.

Luckily in Montreal there's Car2Go's (I don't have a car) so I grabbed one nearby and drove him there immediately. Vet checked him out - he's all good. No need for pain meds or anything b/c he's good. Of course he said if I notice him still having discomfort later on that we could get him some, but he wasn't babying his foot like he was at home.

Drive back home, Jasper back in cage, clips away. Back to work.

*Big sigh*

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Ah, Katie. You've had a ROUGH day. You and Jasper both.

I'm so glad it didn't turn out worse than it did, though. It's a good thing that you have that Skype connection going on... and that you acted so quickly. Things might've turned out differently if the clamp had stayed on his toe much longer.

Can you post a pic of that millet clamp in the dangerous toys sub-forum so that anyone else who has it might be warned of the potential danger?

OP
katie_fleming

katie_fleming

Oct 30, 2012
Montreal, Canada
Parrots
Jasper (6yr old Solomon Island Eclectus Parrot)
Appreciate that. Yes, I'm so thankful I keep an eye on him. He was playing and fine the rest of the day and when I got home he was gripping as normal with that toe. What a relief.

I will definitely post a picture in that forum, I'll make a reminder for myself.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
What a great save, thanks to your dedication, technology, and a flexible work environment!

Thanks for alerting us to the ever-possible danger from assumed safe devices!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
wow..must have been frightening for both of you :11::eek:..Thank God for modern technology,being able to keep a close eye on things even though you are so far a part. :)

Jim

Most Reactions