What are these black feathers? Is it because of molting?

amazon24

Sep 5, 2012
My panama amazon started molting about 1 month ago, and the black feathers have dramatically increased..any idea why? Oh and also I have clipped her flight wings about 3 weeks ago, how long will it take for them to grow back? And also, how long is molting season? Thank you in advance.:green:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 3,456

Pedro

Dec 15, 2010
Australia
Parrots
2 Budgies, 3 Cockatiels, 6 GCC'S, 2 Crimson Bellie Conures, 9 Sun Conures, 2 Major Mitchells, 12 Eclectus parrots of various ages, 2 BF Amazons, 2 Hahn's Macaw's, 1 Red Tail Black Too
I could be wrong but i think that is their normal feather pattern.
My BF Amazons have cute black scalloping effect on the edge of their feathers.
Henpecked will verify.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
No , those don't look good. What kind of diet? Any history?

OP
A

amazon24

Sep 5, 2012
No , those don't look good. What kind of diet? Any history?
her main diet is this: All Living Things&#153 Parrot Daily Diet - Specialty Pet Month - Featured Products - PetSmart, she also receives about 2 apple slices, strawberries and banana slices daily... i purchased her around 2-3 weeks ago, so I'm guessing they're stress feathers from moving from one family to another

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I would highly suggest looking into a better diet for her. Vegetables are more important than fruits, you may want to consider feeding her sprouted seeds instead of dry seeds, and get her eating healthy pellets.

I don't know where you are located, but if you can get them, look into Harrison's, Roudybush, Mazuri, TOP's, GoldnObles.... best is dye/sugar free, and the more organic, the better!

Most Reactions