What bird is best for me?

ThatGreenParakeet

Apr 22, 2018
Parrots
A green parakeet
So for a while now I have been wanting to purchase another bird, mainly for the one I have now so he wouldn't be too lonely while I am at school. But I am having a hard time making a decision on which species to purchase or look at. At least once a week my opinion on which bird I want will change, and I just can't make up my mind.

the reason I don't just go to a breeder or store that sells birds and see which one I bond with is that the place I would purchase from is a 2-hour trip and my parents have already taken me 3 times with no luck of finding one that has bonded with me, so they aren't really too excited to take me a fourth time.

the place that I would purchase from has all sorts of birds and they are all bought from a breeder still on formula and then continued to be raised by the store.

Anyway, Heres some of my wants, what I don't mind and some info about my situation.

Wants.

1. I would like a bird that is cuddly but can also chill with you.
2. Sweet and loving
3. Maybe a parrot that would not just kinda bond with me but with like my mom or dad. (maybe not fully bond but enjoy their presence)
4. Medium sized.
5. considered a beginner or intermediate bird.

Things I don't mind.

I don't mind the occasional scream or mess.
I would be fine buying a larger cage for the bird
I'm okay with a bird that is nippy from time to time.
I'm willing to spend however much money my bird needs to be happy. So I am open to prices.
Noise does matter just not too much.

Things I cant have.

I cant have a cockatiel due to my allergies and some or my family's. (even though cockatiels are like the perfect match!)
A bird that isn't too ear piercing.

My living situation.

I live in a home with my parents. Our neighbors are not to close to us and I am at school for seven hours but can devote the rest of my day to the bird. And I plan to care for the bird its whole life however long that may be.

So, If you have any idea on which bird is right for me, please tell me!

thanks for reading!

:greenyellow:

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
sign a commitment that this is a life long endeavor. and that if you give the bird you selected up, you will accept the decision of the parrot police firing squad.

sorry, that's just how I feel . if you haven't found the bird that you like and the bird who likes you. IN MY CRASS OPINION.. you are not ready yet.

Remember I am a kooky guy who does some really extreme stuff... even though what I do/did was easy cheesy..

Also, please remember something I frequently say to people ( nearly daily) who ask me about my boy.. " Uhhh.. they don't come out of the box like this.. "

Please, take your time. spend time with the birds, learn in depth. then make the commitment.. (not that you haven't already) Best of luck..

Last edited:

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Species of parrots have a general temperament, but regardless of the 'average' for a species, no parrot is the same. I would suggest finding a rescue near you and interacting with the parrots till you find one you connect with.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
So sorry itā€™s not what you want to hear but this is NOT the time for a new bird.

Just because you have two birds does not mean they will get along.

Most importantly, youā€™re worried because your current bird is ā€œtoo lonelyā€ youā€™re not around enough. You want a second bird to ā€œkeep him companyā€. Unfortunately it doesnā€™t work like that. YOU are their number 1 and their source of entertainment and socialization, not each other.

To steal from RuPaul, if you donā€™t have enough time for one bird who you feel is lonely, how in the hell are ya gonna find time to cuddle TWO birds? Can I get an amen?

Two birds is double the work you want something cuddly but you donā€™t even have time to cuddle the one you do have!

The real question you should be asking is if you donā€™t have time first bird 1, should you even have bird 1 to begin with.

Itā€™s exactly like saying ā€œI donā€™t have time to take care of my dog. Hey, I know, let me buy a SECOND dogā€. The logic fails on all levels.

And thereā€™s the parental factor. Itā€™s just generally not recommended to buy birds if your living with your parents. Parrots really belong in established households. If youā€™re living with your parents your life has a lot of twists and turns coming which may include moving into apartments that donā€™t allow pets. What will you do with the birds then?

Your average parrot sees 5-7 homes in its lifetime because people buy birds without thinking things through like they do with dogs. Or people make decisions where they feel more flexibility to sacrifice birds where they would move heaven and earth or accommodate their dogs. Itā€™s a true tragedy. Which is why I suggest you wait until your established in your own place.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
Hey Greeen. You are on a journey. You have taken the first steps. It is admirable to me that you have asked for information and advice. You have done the right thing. Continue to listen and learn and remember, short term fixes rarely ever work out. This is how we all learn..... the hard way....

reeb

Oct 23, 2017
Media
Albums
Cape Town, South Africa
Parrots
Berry (ā™€ Cockatiel) hatched June 2017
Opal (ā™‚ Budgie) hatched 13 August 2017
Pearl (ā™€ Budgie) hatched 15 August 2017
+ an aviary of 16 other budgies! all hatched 2014-2017
Have you considered getting a second budgie? I know they aren't as cuddly, but they will be able to handle not spending most of their day with you, and will be most likely to get along with your existing budgie. Budgies are very social, and your baby will definitely benefit from a friend of the same species, especially if you are away for 7 hours every day.

Keep in mind that most of the medium sized birds that you are interested in (including cockatiels, green cheek conures, etc) require a lot of attention. I have a really flexible schedule as a university student and I spent most of my days at home. Even when I leave my room for a few minutes, Berry (my cockatiel) will call and call and call for me until I come back. My budgies like having me around, sit on my shoulders and love to play, but they are nowhere near as attached to me as Berry. I know you want that connection, but now (while you are still in school) just won't be the right time. 7 hours is a long time for your birds to be away from you on a daily basis.

With this in mind, let's just talk about the potential risks for your current budgie when bringing a new bird into the family, because this is very important to consider.

As you said, cockatiels are probably the most likely to get along as they have very gentle personalities and are less likely to react violently towards budgies, who have very big and occasionally aggressive personalities. Even so, it depends on individual personalities.

Green cheek conures have much, much bigger beaks than cockatiels and can seriously harm a budgie if provoked. The same goes for most other conure species. I know other members here have had success with this, but I have also heard of countless disasters. I know that green cheeks can get quite possessive of their owners and this can lead to aggression towards your budgie when you spend time with him.

Lovebirds tend to be equally as aggressive as budgies and the species do not usually get along. A similar case can be said of parrotlets. All three species are little birds with big personalities, and budgies will always be much more likely to get along with a second budgie than other smaller species.

Honestly, in my opinion:

- Since you are away for 7 hours a day, you shouldn't get a species that requires a lot of attention. Budgies already require social interaction, and I do think your budgie will benefit from a friend considering that you are away for so many hours in a day.
- A second budgie would be the best option for this lifestyle, and also for the safety of your current budgie. That being said, being of the same species does not guarantee a positive relationship, so you need to be aware of this.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts