Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Sometimes you may need to be a little patient for answers. It might be a slow period, or people simply don't have an answer or comment, or haven't seen your post yet.

I think that comparing a Macaw and a Cockatiel is comparing 'apples and oranges'. A tame bird will have their own way of expressing affection depending on how each species is inclined to demonstrate it. Not necessarily more or less, just different.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
Since the two birds you mention are so completely different with vastly different needs and utterly different temperaments, I think most people probably refrain from answering because they feel that you are probably not ready for either one if you haven't narrowed your choices down farther.

That said, I have met extremely affectionate members of both species. Training, socialization, and individual personality are more important.

Pinkbirdy

Feb 26, 2013
Clifton Springs Newyork
Parrots
macaw,LS2,congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,Hawkhead,yellowstrk lory,Blue frnt amazon,sun conure ,Yellow sided greencheek ,Goffin ,Rosebreasted Cockatoo,Greenwing Macaw,Blue and Gold Macaw,Nanday conure,Ecle
Both honestly can be very affectionate :)

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
Depends on the birds and depends on what the person considers affection.

I think our starling is very affectionate. But others would think it's not because it doesn't like to be pet or touched. It likes to sit on my arm/shoulder/hand ect and serenade me. It likes to play games with me, loves if it can join me in the shower or even the bath. Loves play fetch..that means it steals something and I try and fetch it from the bird.

Some people only think affectionate if they can actually squeeze and pet something though.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
I have only enjoyed a sampling of 3 macaws and 1 cockatiel. The cockatiel came to us via "holiday auction" from a bird club and was never affectionate. He had defective feet from birth (or parental influence) and supposedly had plenty of therapy, but never enjoyed handling despite lots of attention. My pair of Blue and Golds were moderately affectionate, though the male was fairly aggressive. OTOH, my Greenwing was an awesome bird, very affectionate and playful. I never felt threatened by his beak.

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
Pineapple! Banana makes me want to puke most of the time...

I like macaws more not because they are necessarily more affectionate but they are more challenging. Which is also why I like the horse that bucks you off more than the one that actually listens and behaves:D

Plus, cockatiel noise is a little irritating...

Last edited:
OP
S

sgperth12

Oct 12, 2015
It was just general question just to see i know their both different species of birds im going to get a macaw in the future i used to have a cockatiel so u wanted to see their differences

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Being a Cockatiel breeder for many years plus it was my first bird, I love them dearly! But Macaws on the other hand is what I've always wanted. Both are super affectionate in their own ways. But between the two, I trust my Cockatiels more then the Macaws. They can be unpredictable at times especially during hormone period. NEVER trust a Macaw's beak near your face cause they can do a lot of damage. Willie have never been the same after his first major hormone.

Most Reactions

Latest posts