What bird species is right for me?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Halle, you've gotten some excellent advice from very experienced and caring folks. Some of the opinions are passionate and from the POV that best decisions are made after considering every possible angle.

Your age is less an issue than housing and financial stability after graduation. Purchase price of a bird and cage is just the beginning, as proper food, toys, and having a reserve for vet care can be costly. If noise is a consideration and you'd prefer a bird smaller than a conure, perhaps a cockatiel would be a good match. I would encourage you to spend some time with various species in a rescue or vendor such as breeder or pet shop.

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
As of now, none but that will soon change!!!
I'll check them out more deeply tomorrow, I did a little reading and they fit my criteria to a T. Difinitely workth looking into! Thank you.

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
I know, it's just the approach that I felt was harsh and a little rude but I'm over it, no point in getting mad. In the end, it's up to me, but I'm trying to do the right thing by getting as educated as possible on them so I can be a good owner or better said "parront" Thanks for the suggestion :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I know you feel that people were rude or harsh, but the reality is that many of us (including myself) deeply wish someone had taken us by the shoulder, looked us in the eye, and said "don't do this. It is foolish and selfish, and you know we are right." No one did that for us, and we would have been mad if they did, but we still wish now, looking back, that they had. So we do it for you, even though we know you won't like it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
. The point I'm trying to get acrossed is this: I appreciate the advice although it's not what I asked for. I said thank you for it. But regardless of what anyone says, the choice always comes back to me. I came to this forum for advice and I'm educating myself and trying to prepare for whatever I will have to deal with while going on that crazy ride of bringing a parrot into my life. I'm taking everything that is said on here seriously. I am considering it and trying to use that to make the best choice for myself. So thank you for all of the input it, even if I don't like it, I am still using it to make a decision.

CDavis

Aug 7, 2016
North Carolina
Parrots
Goose: Yellowsided Greencheek Conure
Dobby: Turquoise GCC
Bonkers: RLA
I'm also 17 and I have a green check conure and a red Lored Amazon and the green cheek would do fine in an apartment but the Amazon is almost deafening when he gets going. I recommend a green cheek a cockatiel or a parrot let.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I'm also 17 and I have a green check conure and a red Lored Amazon and the green cheek would do fine in an apartment but the Amazon is almost deafening when he gets going. I recommend a green cheek a cockatiel or a parrot let.

The pressure placed on the ears is greatly reduced when you open the window to reduce the effects of the sound waves projected by an Amazon! Also, it kind of like sharing with the World! :D

Happy to see you around again!

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
....But regardless of what anyone says, the choice always comes back to me....

....I am considering it and trying to use that to make the best choice for myself....

With respect, Halle, your fellow members are asking you to deeply consider the other side of the equation - the bird. Once acquired, you are their entire universe.

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
You should get a guinea pig! They cuddle and don't mind if you're away sometimes. I know you want a parrot but perhaps start with a pet that is a bit less emotional and intense. I did that myself. :) RIP Sockmonkey...You are the cutest sock looking creature I ever had the privilege of knowing...

davefv92c

Banned
Banned
Nov 29, 2016
Try chameleons if you can raise them you will do fine with Parrots.

don't ask y just sounded good

sonja

Jul 31, 2012
I strongly recommend volunteering with a rescue for a while - you will meet a whole variety of birds and really see close up the noise, mess, etc before bringing one home. You may be able to get your fill of birdy love that way until you are at a stable point in your life to bring one home, and by then you would have a lot more first hand knowledge to base your decision on.

And, if you are determined to get one now anyway, I agree with the others who have suggested a cockatiel. And check your local shelters - you can very often find them there.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
The apartment really could be a problem. We could steer you toward a species that is USUALLY quiet, and yours could be really loud. At 17 I doubt you have the funds to pick up and move, potentially paying a large fee for breaking your lease.

Those of us involved in rescue see SO MANY birds who are homeless because of things like this, or because the owner got a boyfriend who doesn't get along with the bird, or had to move into the dorm, transfer schools, get new roommates, take on an extra job... no species is "right" for that sort of risk.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
The apartment really could be a problem. We could steer you toward a species that is USUALLY quiet, and yours could be really loud. At 17 I doubt you have the funds to pick up and move, potentially paying a large fee for breaking your lease.

Those of us involved in rescue see SO MANY birds who are homeless because of things like this, or because the owner got a boyfriend who doesn't get along with the bird, or had to move into the dorm, transfer schools, get new roommates, take on an extra job... no species is "right" for that sort of risk.

Per the statement I put in bold: She's absolutely correct. I have a senegal parrot. These guys have a reputation for being good apartment birds because they're not usually loud. Well, Leo didn't get that memo. He's louder than both my macaw and my cockatoo. He chatters all day. I live in a large house on a large-for-suburbia lot and my neighbors hear Leo but not Charlotte or Oscar. Birds are individuals, and there's no guarantee of what personality traits any individual bird will have.

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
I'm actually a she ;)

I have a Pionus parrot. As a species they are very quiet. They are even called "apartment parrots." Mine screams like a hellion when she wants to and can be heard by hundreds of people cursed to live near me.

I have budgies (often called Patakeets). People who insist they are quiet make my head spin. Happy budgies chatter all day!

I have lovebirds. They also tend to chatter and while they don't get the volume of some the others, their squeak peels paint off the walls.

I have cockatiels. Sure, usually nice and quiet, but prone to night frights. And a single cockatiel is likely to scream just as much as any other parrot, and that is quite a piercing sound as well.

I have green cheeked conures, also "supposed" to be quiet. But the loudest bird in my flock is a gcc.

No bird can be safely labeled as quiet.

As for playful and cuddly? That's individual too. I could tell you conures are cuddly, but my girl Titan HATES cuddles. I could tell you that Ringnecks are playful, but my boy Saeed is the most boring parrot I have ever seen. Not playful at all.

And you know what you haven't addressed? Biting. Those playful and snuggle birds don't stay like that automatically it takes a lot of time and training to transition even the sweetest baby into a nice adult.

So ultimately it's a poor choice in my opinion, but clearly you don't care. In that case, I highly suggest adopting an ADULT bird.

Most rescues probably won't adopt to you (because thousands of stories like yours end in heartbreak), but Craigslist etc are full of birds being thrown away.

An adult bird has advantages because you can already see the adult personality unlike with babies, you don't have to guide them through puberty, and you should be able to get a better idea of how loud, playful, and cuddly THAT INDIVIDUAL BIRD is which is hard to predict with a baby.

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Sorry, SilverSage. I knew that. I really did. I swear. I fixed it.

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
lol I'm not even a little bit offended. My name is Dani BTW.

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
Thanks to everyone who's been respectful. I appreciate all of the help and other options you've come up with!

Last edited:

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
I'm actually a she ;)

I have a Pionus parrot. As a species they are very quiet. They are even called "apartment parrots." Mine screams like a hellion when she wants to and can be heard by hundreds of people cursed to live near me.

I have budgies (often called Patakeets). People who insist they are quiet make my head spin. Happy budgies chatter all day!

I have lovebirds. They also tend to chatter and while they don't get the volume of some the others, their squeak peels paint off the walls.

I have cockatiels. Sure, usually nice and quiet, but prone to night frights. And a single cockatiel is likely to scream just as much as any other parrot, and that is quite a piercing sound as well.

I have green cheeked conures, also "supposed" to be quiet. But the loudest bird in my flock is a gcc.

No bird can be safely labeled as quiet.

As for playful and cuddly? That's individual too. I could tell you conures are cuddly, but my girl Titan HATES cuddles. I could tell you that Ringnecks are playful, but my boy Saeed is the most boring parrot I have ever seen. Not playful at all.

And you know what you haven't addressed? Biting. Those playful and snuggle birds don't stay like that automatically it takes a lot of time and training to transition even the sweetest baby into a nice adult.

So ultimately it's a poor choice in my opinion, but clearly you don't care. In that case, I highly suggest adopting an ADULT bird.

Most rescues probably won't adopt to you (because thousands of stories like yours end in heartbreak), but Craigslist etc are full of birds being thrown away.

An adult bird has advantages because you can already see the adult personality unlike with babies, you don't have to guide them through puberty, and you should be able to get a better idea of how loud, playful, and cuddly THAT INDIVIDUAL BIRD is which is hard to predict with a baby.

So well put. I have the most playful, snuggliest, chattery BITEY conure ever and I love her to bits. But you have to tolerate the good with the bad of course. She mostly screams "HEY BABY" " CAMERA" and ""I LOVE YOU"all day but I guess it's better than conure screeches :)

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
Thank you for the advice I'll definitely get in contact with rescues in my area.

Last edited:

Most Reactions