What bird species is right for me?

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
As of now, none but that will soon change!!!
I'm actually a she ;)

I have a Pionus parrot. As a species they are very quiet. They are even called "apartment parrots." Mine screams like a hellion when she wants to and can be heard by hundreds of people cursed to live near me.

I have budgies (often called Patakeets). People who insist they are quiet make my head spin. Happy budgies chatter all day!

I have lovebirds. They also tend to chatter and while they don't get the volume of some the others, their squeak peels paint off the walls.

I have cockatiels. Sure, usually nice and quiet, but prone to night frights. And a single cockatiel is likely to scream just as much as any other parrot, and that is quite a piercing sound as well.

I have green cheeked conures, also "supposed" to be quiet. But the loudest bird in my flock is a gcc.

No bird can be safely labeled as quiet.

As for playful and cuddly? That's individual too. I could tell you conures are cuddly, but my girl Titan HATES cuddles. I could tell you that Ringnecks are playful, but my boy Saeed is the most boring parrot I have ever seen. Not playful at all.

And you know what you haven't addressed? Biting. Those playful and snuggle birds don't stay like that automatically it takes a lot of time and training to transition even the sweetest baby into a nice adult.

So ultimately it's a poor choice in my opinion, but clearly you don't care. In that case, I highly suggest adopting an ADULT bird.

Most rescues probably won't adopt to you (because thousands of stories like yours end in heartbreak), but Craigslist etc are full of birds being thrown away.

An adult bird has advantages because you can already see the adult personality unlike with babies, you don't have to guide them through puberty, and you should be able to get a better idea of how loud, playful, and cuddly THAT INDIVIDUAL BIRD is which is hard to predict with a baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"I clearly don't care??" Alrighty then, thanks have a nice day.

Last edited:

BirdSquawk

Aug 21, 2012
Parrots
Jack- 5 year old pacific parrotlet
One more thing to take into account is school. I didn't see from your first post but are you attending college after you move out?
I've scheduled my classes to start early so I can be home with Jack; if you have a major that has demanding hours or that run late into the night, it may have an impact on the type of bird you can successfully care for.

I second the idea of an adult bird. You can really see the personality you're dealing with right from the start. Plus, no pesky puberty to deal with!

Again, best wishes to you.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Might I suggest it might be time to let this thread be? To put it bluntly we're not really getting anywhere and a few of our contributing members have to a modest degree become targets at this point. I would submit Being rude to the people trying to help is not the way to inspire future assistance.

Last edited:
OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
Might I suggest it might be time to let this thread be? To put it bluntly we're not really getting anywhere and a few of our contributing members have to a modest degree become targets at this point. I would submit Being rude to the people trying to help is not the way to inspire future assistance.

I got somewhere, I wasn't targeting anyone and I wasn't being rude. I said how I felt and you all did too. It's not rude to stand up for yourself and point out to another person how you felt about what someone said. If I feel disrespected then I'm going to voice that. I don't see anything wrong with that. Thank you for the help, I'm sorry if anyone felt attacked but you also consider that maybe I felt attacked or disrespected too? Once again, thanks and have a nice rest of your day.

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
One more thing to take into account is school. I didn't see from your first post but are you attending college after you move out?
I've scheduled my classes to start early so I can be home with Jack; if you have a major that has demanding hours or that run late into the night, it may have an impact on the type of bird you can successfully care for.

I second the idea of an adult bird. You can really see the personality you're dealing with right from the start. Plus, no pesky puberty to deal with!

Again, best wishes to you.

Thank you, I'm gonna be doing part time community college , so I should have a good amount of time. Good advice, thank you!:)

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
I can't have guinea pigs or rabbits, they both make my eyes water pretty badly for some reason. It's weird because other furry animals don't bother me but those two do! I have had dogs and cats, even rats and they don't bother me at all. Thank you for the suggestion though!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Milesh this is he last is posting on here before I take my own advice. You need to understand that not a single person here has attacked you, and have gone well out of their way to help you, myself included. As a teen New to posting on forums you have to learn to read behind the words. Text does not carry emotion with it, you need to find the context behind the words.

You've been told multiple times on this thread "we come in peace and mean you no harm", myself included. It's been made more than abundantly clear you have no reason to feel attacked. There comes a point where you need to take people at their word.

I suggest you step back and have a second look over the entire thread. A friendly thread doesn't necessarily start with "HOWDY!!!!" And just because it doesn't start with "HOWDY!!!!" Doesn't mean someone is being rude or even abrupt.

OP
M

Milesh

Jan 16, 2017
Oregon
Parrots
Milesh this is he last is posting on here before I take my own advice. You need to understand that not a single person here has attacked you, and have gone well out of their way to help you, myself included. As a teen New to posting on forums you have to learn to read behind the words. Text does not carry emotion with it, you need to find the context behind the words.

You've been told multiple times on this thread "we come in peace and mean you no harm", myself included. It's been made more than abundantly clear you have no reason to feel attacked. There comes a point where you need to take people at their word.

I suggest you step back and have a second look over the entire thread. A friendly thread doesn't necessarily start with "HOWDY!!!!" And just because it doesn't start with "HOWDY!!!!" Doesn't mean someone is being rude or even abrupt.
I'm not sending this to continue the argument. I just want to have my point of view and thoughts in before you cut me off.

All you had to do was not reply, that would've ended it. I don't feel that I have targeted anyone or that anyone was attacking anyone. I just felt that some of the replies weren't welcoming or nice. I am allowed to feel that way. I don't need a reply but I'm not gonna let someone paint me as the bad guy. Thank you all for the help and HOWDY.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
I can't have guinea pigs or rabbits, they both make my eyes water pretty badly for some reason. It's weird because other furry animals don't bother me but those two do! I have had dogs and cats, even rats and they don't bother me at all. Thank you for the suggestion though!

Oh man, I have to warn you ... I'm allergic to cats and dogs, but I never had a chance to pet my husband's Amazon much. I have been able to spend some wondrous time scritching his Blue and Gold, Gus, and found out I'm allergic to him! I have to be sure to wash my hands immediately after handling him, and to be careful not to touch my eyes or face while I have him. I think you mentioned you were thinking of volunteering with a rescue - should be a good opportunity to find out if you are allergic to any particular parrot species. I would never have expected to encounter such a thing.

Most Reactions