What can you add to bath water to reduce itching?

vdtijer

Sep 11, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Yellow-sided Green Cheek Conure
My Birdy is a dish bath taker. After his last molt he has not let his new feathers grow in and has been plucking them out and looks like a patchy mess. He's a daily bath taker and loves them to the point where I cant even put the bath down before he starts splashing in it.

I originally thought is was due to boredom so I moved his toys around and bought him more preening and forging toys, which he loves. So I was wondering if there is anything I can put in his bath water to help with the itching that won't irritate his eyes because he likes to go head first into his bath water. I'm not going to dare use spray bottle, he was NOT happy with that idea last time. Also, the bath I have for him in that blue dish that attaches to the cage that you can get at petsmart. I'm thinking he's going to need a bigger one also. Any ideas on where to get a bigger one that will attach to the cage?

Any help you be awesome! Thanks!

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
I use alittle fresh aloe from my garden. Bigger dish? I would check pet stores and if you find one big enough ask them to order you one...have you tried taking him in the shower with you? Sissy loves it!!

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I use a shallow ceramic baking dish that I put right in the bottom of the cage. The first couple of times Dexter seemed puzzled by it and wouldn't really go near it. Then I floated a couple of cranberries in it one day and now he dives right in when I put his bathtub in for him. He stands on the side and dunks his head for a while, then hops in and splashes around to wash the "undercarriage."

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
I use a shallow ceramic baking dish that I put right in the bottom of the cage. The first couple of times Dexter seemed puzzled by it and wouldn't really go near it. Then I floated a couple of cranberries in it one day and now he dives right in when I put his bathtub in for him. He stands on the side and dunks his head for a while, then hops in and splashes around to wash the "undercarriage."

Ah love to see him doing this, hint hint?? LOL :)

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
Ah love to see him doing this, hint hint?? LOL :)

I have many videos of my Harley bathing. He bathes a few times a week and loves to shower himself when I'm done in the shower. But for in between and sometimes even after his baths I spray a preening, molting spray on him that has aloe Vera in it.

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
I have one bird. He is a Black Capped Conure and his name is Harley. His hatch date is 2/3/2014.
[ame="https://youtu.be/sIXXRBFSoEc"]Splish Splash - YouTube[/ame]

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Thanks for that clip, lovely to see the little fella enjoying having a bathing session. He's certainly thorough! LOL.

StarryEyedGirl

Jan 16, 2015
Connecticut
Parrots
That he is. He loves his baths. He makes a huge water mess but it's worth it to see him happy.

Most Reactions