What carrier do you use (to take to vet)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Tamm's the only down side to those....they weigh a ton.

Even when we use Salty's pac o bird, we put a box or what have you under it, to elevate it so he can see out the windows, at eye level. He gets very scared if for example a motorcycle or truck gets close and he can't see what the source is.

I make a strap on perch out of pvc pipe that bungee cords on to a front seat, with cord wrapped on the 'perch' part, for lots of grip. Once in, Salty is set loose in the car and if he's not on my shoulder that is his favorite place to watch the world whiz by.

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
I use a simple wire carrier

Mcage Two Size, Travel Collapsable Parrot Bird Carrier Cage (20"x12"x16"H, White) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8WK7QE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Ejv2DbB84PG55
Chris, that's the same one I have. Inexpensive, light weight, and the birds go right in. Perfect

It really is perfect. As April notes, it gives extra grabbing space, they can see, it’s wonderful. I’ll use it for vet, out and about.

So long as I’m planning on taking Parker out at some point.

I have the pak o bird also, which we love. But there’s a SLIGHT stress aspect getting in sometimes. It’s likely more in my own head., I’m anticipating a fight, when usually there isn’t any. But if I don’t anticipate removing home (a hike, for example), I’ll use the pak o bird. Otherwise, I’ll be stressed over getting him back in.

OP
T

TrebleMama

Nov 22, 2019
Michigan
Parrots
Treble-Red-Headed Amazon
Update: Our McCage came yesterday and it seems perfect for traveling to the vet and other small trips! Looks like a nice quality cage for the price, thanks for the recommendations everyone!

Treble has his vet check-up next week (the initial visit is an hour long!), I'm going to put him in it a few times beforehand, just so he can get used to the carrier. Right now it's sitting next to his playgym, he's definitely been eyeballing it lol.

Nov 1, 2019
Oregon
Parrots
Gracie, our Blue Fronted Amazon.
We use a nice little soft body cat carrier that we got from Walmart. Idk if she likes it but dung I would that thing looks cozy. I think she would prefer a perch

Most Reactions

Latest posts