What do you line your cage with?

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Exclusively newspaper. I have tried corncob litter under the grate and quickly discontinued for all the reasons posted above.

Mimsy01

Jul 7, 2014
Parrots
GCC-Foofany
European Starling-Zeki
BCC-Ellie House Sparrow-Napolean Parakeet-Bean
I mostly use fleece liners. I don't sew, but fleece doesn't fray so I just cut it to size.

Currently I realized I had a surplus of a decade worths of left over wrapping paper and I'm using it.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I use the free newspapers outside of convenience stores .... it's free which is great!

ToMang07

Jul 14, 2015
Maine, USA
Parrots
Willow the Umbrella Cockatoo
Newspaper myself as well, below the grate. Need to work on a better tray tho, Willow thinks her water bowl is also a bath, lol

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Newspaper under the grates..outside cage I also use newspaper because sissy doesn't climb down to the floor at night

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I bought cage liners that are cut to size and shiny on one side, so if you put them shiny-side-down the moisture from droppings or dropped food does not soak through. I put a stack of about 5-7 of them in the tray and once/twice per day (depending on how messy breakfast is) I slide the tray out a bit, fold the sides over and roll it up like a burrito to throw away. Everything pretty much stays put on the paper, so I only have to remove the tray itself and clean it twice a week to tidy up around the edges. It's worked out nicely so far.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I use newspaper under the grates for the big guys, and newspaper under and over for the smaller ones (finches, etc). Helps so much when cleaning the grates as much as finches poop.

Most Reactions

Latest posts