what do you think about happy huts?

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
Make one out of wood?And paint it with food color.
Then it's still a happy hut.You can drill holes at the exits to put some rings in it to play with.

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
We have used them frequently, and have had no problems yet. The brand we use is the Scooter Z's 'Snugglie' hut, which does not fray or leave loose threads, as it is made of fleece.
SnugglieLCorella.jpg

There's a loose thread right in your pic of the snugglie hut.

crimson

Oct 8, 2012
Media
Ontario,Canada
Parrots
Senegal-Martini,1 pineapple conure~ Kahlua,1 GCC~ Flare, spl/b, 4 Lovebirds Halo,Tye-Die,Luna,Violet,8 Cockatiels,Num Num&Tundra,8-Ball&Angus,Magnet&Sunkist,Pearl, Blush, 1 gouldian finch, 7 canaries

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Rio has a corner perch in her sleep cage that she uses every night. Kiwi has a happy hut in her cage, but only uses it on occasion. It's made out of fleece, and she does not chew on it. So far so good. I have heard about accidents happening though.

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots
i got 1 green cheek cinnamon,a rose crowned,a yellow sided and a hybride from the first 2

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
i cant believe igot so many replies overnight ;)

i see this is confusing.....
if its risky by even one percent, im not using it....
know any other alternatives?

How about a simple corner perch?

Bird Cage Accessory Perch: Prevue Pet Products Wood Corner Shelf

that's a great idea! you could get a grass mat and somehow make it into a teepee(thinking outside the box:rolleyes:)
I love ideas like this, haha

Are those grass mats safe?
I saw it in a YouTube movie ,and haven't forgotten it since.
It looks so awesome.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i make my own sleeping tubes. i get giant cardboard tubes and i make them into sleeping tubes. only my male lovebird mango gets one or else he wont sleep at night without hanging off the side of his cage all night looking quite lost lol

but another alternative... get a coconut, cut off the ends of it, drain it, bake it and peel off the meat. drill a hole or two in the top to attach a quick link and there you go, a coconut hut! peel off all the fibers off the sides if you feel a bit leery of the fibers.

attached are:

a photo of Mango in one of his sleeping tubes (i've had to remake new ones every once in awhile when he starts deciding to FEED them lol)

an alternative to the tube, you can make a tent as well using cardboard and fleece.

and the coconut hut idea for you too

Attachments

• 548828_146854225473981_955093239_n.jpg
    548828_146854225473981_955093239_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 745
  • 247612_108830165943054_1047525467_n.jpg
    247612_108830165943054_1047525467_n.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 545
  • 420390_108829765943094_1330356857_n.jpg
    420390_108829765943094_1330356857_n.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 459
  • 69567_108830795942991_571021657_n.jpg
    69567_108830795942991_571021657_n.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 377

hacatta

Dec 22, 2013
Parrots

Kiva
Fury
Pixel
Hope
i make my own sleeping tubes. i get giant cardboard tubes and i make them into sleeping tubes. only my male lovebird mango gets one or else he wont sleep at night without hanging off the side of his cage all night looking quite lost lol

but another alternative... get a coconut, cut off the ends of it, drain it, bake it and peel off the meat. drill a hole or two in the top to attach a quick link and there you go, a coconut hut! peel off all the fibers off the sides if you feel a bit leery of the fibers.

attached are:

a photo of Mango in one of his sleeping tubes (i've had to remake new ones every once in awhile when he starts deciding to FEED them lol)

an alternative to the tube, you can make a tent as well using cardboard and fleece.

and the coconut hut idea for you too

I want you camera!!!!!!!!!!!...ans birds that are not camera shy or attack it..
Realyy nice cute sharp pictures,
Give me you bird!!Soooo cute

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
I want you camera!!!!!!!!!!!...ans birds that are not camera shy or attack it..
Realyy nice cute sharp pictures,
Give me you bird!!Soooo cute

:11: not stealing my birdies haha i can however give you my camera information if you'd like to look into it. i use a Canon Rebel EOS T3 :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Tsuka: I would buy that coconut hut in a heart beat!!!! That is perfect as a safe happy hut alternative. Why more companies don't do it, I don't know. It will sell so well I think.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Tsuka: I would buy that coconut hut in a heart beat!!!! That is perfect as a safe happy hut alternative. Why more companies don't do it, I don't know. It will sell so well I think.

theyre not too difficult to make, just need a good drill and saw :) but, theyre only good for the really little guys. mango just prefered to play in his coconut rather than sleep in it lol

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
We have used them frequently, and have had no problems yet. The brand we use is the Scooter Z's 'Snugglie' hut, which does not fray or leave loose threads, as it is made of fleece.
SnugglieLCorella.jpg

There's a loose thread right in your pic of the snugglie hut.

I was referring to the hut material not leaving loose threads :p
The sewing threads are made out of thin cotton that break rather than form loops.

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
The sewing threads are made out of thin cotton that break rather than form loops.

I didn't think those little threads were a problem either. Then one of those "harmless" threads killed my bird.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
guys, can we just not pick fights here? i think we get the point that loose threads are the major danger of some happy huts, but let us just remember that we each make our own decisions and must inevitably live with our own mistakes should something go wrong. every toy carries a risk and we all make our own decisions based on what we personally feel safe with and what we do not. owners choose to do risky things such as birds outside without harnesses, letting their larger parrots interact with smaller parrots, letting other pets in the same room as the birds, give toys that could be harmful, etc, etc. not everyone will agree with everything, so can we just state what the dangers are, since that's what the OP asked for and just leave it at that instead of picking at each other when it's just not necessary? it's more pleasant for the other people on the forum to just get straight to the facts instead of going through an ongoing argument ;)

hopefully not fueling anything here.

but back on topic, to the OP... if you are going to make one, do you have any ideas? great items to have on hand are non-pill fleece, cardboard, and even cardboard tubes. you can use cylinder cardboard food containers or plastic ones if you can get them :)

Mekaisto

Jan 8, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Zookeeper who has worked with many bird species, and owner of a cheeky red-tailed black cockatoo (Ash)
One idea that I have never tried before, but have heard of, is taking an ordinary toilet roll and gluing felt around the inside (with safe glue of course). Obviously not a good idea if your parrot is a chewer, or you'll soon have felt with no toilet roll on it :p

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
guys, can we just not pick fights here? i think we get the point that loose threads are the major danger of some happy huts, but let us just remember that we each make our own decisions and must inevitably live with our own mistakes should something go wrong. every toy carries a risk and we all make our own decisions based on what we personally feel safe with and what we do not. owners choose to do risky things such as birds outside without harnesses, letting their larger parrots interact with smaller parrots, letting other pets in the same room as the birds, give toys that could be harmful, etc, etc. not everyone will agree with everything, so can we just state what the dangers are, since that's what the OP asked for and just leave it at that instead of picking at each other when it's just not necessary? it's more pleasant for the other people on the forum to just get straight to the facts instead of going through an ongoing argument ;)

hopefully not fueling anything here.

but back on topic, to the OP... if you are going to make one, do you have any ideas? great items to have on hand are non-pill fleece, cardboard, and even cardboard tubes. you can use cylinder cardboard food containers or plastic ones if you can get them :)

Very well put I might add. Thanks you.

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Oh, it's sold in the UK :(

Most Reactions