what do you think about happy huts?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
That's perfect, thank you!

EDIT: I also found this online, seems promising!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Guinea-Grassy-Hideout/dp/B0002AS596/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_4"]Amazon.com: Super Pet Guinea Pig Grassy Roll-a-Nest Large Hideout: Pet Supplies[/ame]

Last edited:

Megapixel

Banned
Banned
Nov 17, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Senegal, Senegal, Black Capped Conure, Green-cheek Conure, Blue Fronted Amazon
That's perfect, thank you!

EDIT: I also found this online, seems promising!

Amazon.com: Super Pet Guinea Pig Grassy Roll-a-Nest Large Hideout: Pet Supplies

Here are two more
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Barrel-Fun-Jr-Medium-Bird/dp/B006P457W6/ref=sr_1_7?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1389769424&sr=1-7&keywords=cardboard+tubes]Amazon.com: Barrel of Fun Jr Medium Bird: Pet Supplies[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ware-Tunnels-Small-Hideaway-Large/dp/B004AEX9QE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1389769424&sr=1-1&keywords=cardboard+tubes]Amazon.com: Ware Tunnels of Fun Small Pet Hideaway, Large: Pet Supplies[/ame]

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
oh this is great:D most of them seem to be makeable at home :D :D yay!!

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
a good idea for those though who use fabric types of huts, keep nails regularly trimmed! seems longer sharper nails are what get caught in even the fleecy type fabric.

as for the grassy type of rabbit toys, my Dallas likes to sleep on a rabbit toy and they've had these kinds of toys for years and they love chewing the heck out of them. i've had safe experience with them, so i'd say the grass mats are relatively safe as long as nails are kept trim

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
okay!! i havent checked out any rabbit toys yet :D
well your tiel can shred his toys, good for him.
but for a 3 month old crazy budgie, he wont get through it!! lol!
great idea, though :)

MamaFuzz

Oct 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Parrots
GCC - Chico
Senegal - Indy
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1389843282.592646.jpg

I got one of these peekaboo perches from amazon for my green cheek. He didn't like it but I liked it & thought it would be safer than a happyhut.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
View attachment 9895

I got one of these peekaboo perches from amazon for my green cheek. He didn't like it but I liked it & thought it would be safer than a happyhut.

That looks like the one I have for my budgie and he loves it!

OP
cassiepengo

cassiepengo

Nov 12, 2013
india
Parrots
my darling lovebird
@terry57: so your budgie uses it? that might be safer.budgies have small beaks, so they cant really shred thir hut. but, that also means its easier for them to get stuck

Leah00

Jan 13, 2014
Southeast Missouri
Parrots
Yoshi - Green Quaker
I just wanted to add my experience.

My gcc, Kiwi, loved his little hut. He slept in it very night. It was adorable. It was made of fleece and seemed pretty safe.
Then one night we went out with my sister and ended up staying at her house. We got home the next morning and Kiwi's cage was quiet. My husband uncovered it to discover that sometime during the night something had happened and Kiwi was hanging dead from the hut. It was devastating. He was only about a year old. I can only hope that it was quick and he wasn't hanging there screaming for us to save him.
My husband didn't let me see him hanging there so I honestly don't know from what he was hanging or how.

I just know that we were horrified.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
@terry57: so your budgie uses it? that might be safer.budgies have small beaks, so they cant really shred thir hut. but, that also means its easier for them to get stuck

Russell sleeps in his facing inward. So far he hasn't even tried to chew it, but am keeping an eagle eye on him:)

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I just wanted to add my experience.

My gcc, Kiwi, loved his little hut. He slept in it very night. It was adorable. It was made of fleece and seemed pretty safe.
Then one night we went out with my sister and ended up staying at her house. We got home the next morning and Kiwi's cage was quiet. My husband uncovered it to discover that sometime during the night something had happened and Kiwi was hanging dead from the hut. It was devastating. He was only about a year old. I can only hope that it was quick and he wasn't hanging there screaming for us to save him.
My husband didn't let me see him hanging there so I honestly don't know from what he was hanging or how.

I just know that we were horrified.

Oh Leah, I am so sorry for your loss of Kiwi..what a horrible thing:(

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I think that with all the horror stories, it is a very personal decision on whether to risk it or not...only you know your birds and whether they chew alot, their habits, etc.

Most Reactions