Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
"I am out of town a lot for work purposes and have a young African Grey that is very friendly and loves to have people around him. I'm looking for someone to share him with and that would want to look after him during the periods I am away but cannot afford to, or don't want a full time bird."

This ad popped up on my local Kijiji yesterday. I am very disturbed as I think the bird would never know where he would be from one day to the next. I was just wondering if I am off base about thinking this is a bad idea for a bird to feel secure?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Well, my feeling about that is if you knew you could not be around to care for a high needs bird like that, then why did you get one?!

WANTED: FREE BIRD SITTER TO TAKE ON MY RESPONSIBILITIES WHEN I FIND THEM INCONVENIENT...

You've got a lot of damned gall who ever you are!

So, yeah, I've got some choice words for the person!

As for the bird:

CAGS that are out and about trained adjust pretty well to changes in circumstances. It's the CAGS that are raised IN ISOLATION that tend to get neurotic, stress out, and pluck.

If it's part of his routine, then it's part of his routine... and he adjusts.

In the wild these birds travel over a range of a hundred of miles, and are exposed to new, and potentially dangerous stressors every day... and the wild CAGS don't pluck! [Why is that?! The answer to that question of course, is HUMAN!]

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
So I wonder what is going to happen if the owner doesn't find some one to take him while he's out of town? A part of me wants to offer to take him while the guy is gone, but am worried that I will fall in love with the little guy. I am very confused on what to do here. Do you think I would be helping the bird to have a better life or making things worse?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Personally, for me it's all about resisting the urge to strangle this guy!!

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I know, I feel the same way...I wonder if he looks at the bird as a cool accessory when he is in town. I think I will email him to find out more.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I'd like to offer this guy a free punch to the throat. Lol just kidding...sort of.

That poor bird- he probably already has issues with his person coming and going. It's one thing to go to work for the day and come home, but being gone for weeks or months at a time and coming in and out, in and out of this bird's life is just torture.

This ad is a recipe for disaster. The bird could get stolen, or who's to say the "sitter" will refuse to give the bird back??

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
I just got this reply back from him:

"Hi Terry,
Typically we are away from around 1-2 weeks but I'm just also looking for someone that would want to share him even for when I am here. To be honest, I didn't realize what having a Grey entailed but I'm not ready to sell him. I don't know how he gets along with other birds because I haven't left him alone with any but I know that when I birdsit for friends he seems a bit threatened but then I'm also not the most experienced person so I guess you would have to see how he reacts. He's not aggressive at all. I barely get bit by him which surprises me as I really had little experience with him at first (tons with smaller birds). Everyone that has met him have commented on how well behaved he is and that is why I chose him as my pet. Whereabouts do you live and what birds do you have?"

I am really torn over this. On the one hand, I feel I could give him at least some stability, however I think it would break my heart every time he came to get him. I haven't replied yet, am still considering what I want to say.

Zumaria

Sep 30, 2013
Chicago, IL
Parrots
Congo African Grey: Jenga
Yeah some people just need a high five. to the face. with a chair.

I'd ask what he does with him now while he's out of town. If he has never gone out of town before I would offer to help - with the intention of getting to know the guy and convincing him to give the bird up.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
LOLOL oh Zumaria...high five! *ducks*

Terry- So he's aware that him coming and going is not the best situation. I say offer to meet him and the bird to see how things go. Talk to him about potential problems that could arise from the bird's current lifestyle- separation anxiety, plucking, etc. Maybe he will be less hesitant about "giving him up" if he knows the bird is going to a knowledgable, capable, and loving bird home :)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you all for the advice. I am going to email him back and see if we can set up a time to meet, and ask some more questions about him. I will let you know what happens, and keeping my fingers crossed that he will see that this is not a good situation for him.

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I think people shouldn't be so hard on the owner. He has identified a problem he didn't appreciate and wants to improve things. Getting a mentor and another carer might work very well, just dumping/selling the bird might have it end up in a horrible situation. If Terry57 gets involved and thinks the bird would be better off staying with him, he may be able to convince the current owner to give the bird up (there's a difference knowing the home and situation and putting up a bird for sale to just anybody).

Put yourself in his shoes. You've made a mistake, what do you do about it? (and don't say you'd never make a mistake - you might not make that mistake, but everybody makes mistakes of one sort or another)

Kimma

Oct 11, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Flash - DF violet Indian Ringneck. Crash - lutino Indian Ringneck
If you do go ahead with it, get a written agreement.
Who pays for what?
what happens if the owner stops going out of town (do you still get to see the bird etc)?
what happens if the owner decides to sell him - do you get first offer?
what happens if he gets sick - who pays for the treatment, do you get to make decisions about his medical care?
do you only get him when his owner is out of town or is it a more equitable sharing?
what if he dies - are you liable?
what if the owner dies - do you inherit the bird?

This actually sounds quite similar to how people often share horses with free lease agreements. There are contacts available online that could be adapted to suit a bird.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Thank you Kimma - I had not even thought of some of those, and I think they are all important questions. I will try to google one of those contracts you are talking about.
It sounds like he would want him (I hope he tells me the greys name in the next email, I hate saying he) to stay here for part of the time when he is home as well.

Most Reactions

Latest posts