What do you think?

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Still have to decide which one to purchase
Hi there :)

Lately iv been trying to decide what type of parrot to get that will fit to my likings best! I was looking for a bird that isn't too noisy,that can seek quiet well, that is medium to small sized, and that can easily be trained and that doesn't need about 5 hours of training a day as i don't have that kind of time, and finally that doesn't cost to much (ex: not more then about €300) (Meaning no African greys or macaws) I was told that irn (Indian ring necks) are great pets but they pass trough a bluffing stage. Do all birds pass through this? I also hear that quakers make good pets but i don't really know much about them!

Thank you so much for all the help and i really appreciate that great help:D

Franny xxx

Last edited:
OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Hi Franny!

Hmm, have you possibly considered Pionus or even Caiques?

Hi :)
Quite a few people told me about Pionus but i never actually heard of them! And i must say that i never heard of Caiques either! But do they speek and can they be trained fairly easily? And also do they have a bluffing stage lik indian ring necks? Last thing, would you suggest quakers?

Thank you very much, Franny xxx

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
My Auntie has a quaker and I remember her telling me never to get one, they are very mischievous... Of course that means I want one even more... LOL.. It's a shame they are illegal in the State I live in (Australian state)
I am not sure about prices were you are from so I wouldn't be able to tell you if the birds I recommend are cheap or not. I can also only go by the birds I have experience with so i will just talk about those birds.
I have an Eclectus he is lovely happy to chat to himself throughout the day going through his vocabulary, although he isn't big on cuddles and scratches he prefers to sit on my chest right infront of my face which makes doing or seeing anything pretty difficult. He will have the odd scream but it is usually hen he wants something, most likely food or wondering why I left the room. Which he often asks "Whacha doing?" Their diet is a little picky as they need alot of Fruit and Veg, with a tiny bit of pellet & seed.
Cockatiels are good little birds not too noisy, some talk some don't. I had a female growing up and she could say Hiya and Aims. but that is it and I had her for years.
Rose-brested Cockatoos are beauty's but they are prone to fatty tumors so need lots of exercise and no seeds. Pellets and fruit and veg will be good for them. They love cuddles and can be good talkers.
Hope that info helps. Don't know if any of them are suitable to your lifestyle but that is what I have to say about them :)

Karigan

Jul 3, 2011
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
Kitoko: Female Senegal Parrot, born 2002
Talia: Female CAG, born 2008
Mateo: Female CAG, born 2008
Pionus and Poicephelous are renound smal-med sized birds that are fairly quiet (usually) and can learn to speak a few words. They're great character and I can't recommend them enough!

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
My Auntie has a quaker and I remember her telling me never to get one, they are very mischievous... Of course that means I want one even more... LOL.. It's a shame they are illegal in the State I live in (Australian state)
I am not sure about prices were you are from so I wouldn't be able to tell you if the birds I recommend are cheap or not. I can also only go by the birds I have experience with so i will just talk about those birds.
I have an Eclectus he is lovely happy to chat to himself throughout the day going through his vocabulary, although he isn't big on cuddles and scratches he prefers to sit on my chest right infront of my face which makes doing or seeing anything pretty difficult. He will have the odd scream but it is usually hen he wants something, most likely food or wondering why I left the room. Which he often asks "Whacha doing?" Their diet is a little picky as they need alot of Fruit and Veg, with a tiny bit of pellet & seed.
Cockatiels are good little birds not too noisy, some talk some don't. I had a female growing up and she could say Hiya and Aims. but that is it and I had her for years.
Rose-brested Cockatoos are beauty's but they are prone to fatty tumors so need lots of exercise and no seeds. Pellets and fruit and veg will be good for them. They love cuddles and can be good talkers.
Hope that info helps. Don't know if any of them are suitable to your lifestyle but that is what I have to say about them :)

Really?! I didn't think they are very mischievous! I really wanted to get an Eclectus but there's only one problem, they don't sell them anywhere around here :( so there out of the picture. Im not very fond of cockatoos, but the cockatiel is one of the parrots that is on my list of the parrots im still thinking about!! :D

Thank you very much for the great tips and help!!
Franny xxx

OP
Franny024

Franny024

Nov 4, 2012
Malta
Parrots
Pionus and Poicephelous are renound smal-med sized birds that are fairly quiet (usually) and can learn to speak a few words. They're great character and I can't recommend them enough!

Really. Ok then il have to do some research about them! But i don't think they sell Pionus parrots around here :( so that will be a problem! But thank you very much for the great suggestion :)

Franny xxx

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
I have a quaker. he is AWSOME. they are SO smart. he mastered "step up" after 2 10-15 minute training sesions. so they dont need a ton of time training. like 10-15 min per day would be fine. much mor at once and they can get bored. they can be kinda "evil" as some may say. but not acually. just mischievous. but if you dont mind that its not a problem. they can be loud though. not like macaws though. when i leave the room Cooper will start calling. you can hear at the other end of the house, but not loudly. as long as he is with someone he doesnt scream really. and after a while of being alone(like 2-5 minutes) he just kinda calms down. starts to mess with toys ect.... they are smaller birds but have HUGE personality. they can talk very well. at just under 4 months old it sounds like he is trying to talk. he was only 240$ for a green. other colors are more. my cage(and i got one much larger than needed) was around 400$ so if you find a really really good priced one you might be able to get one for like 200$. also a caiques or pinus would be a good chice also( although i dont know quite as much about them or have any personaly experince) just whatever you buy make sure you do a lot of research! i cant stress that enough! good luck! hope this helped! sorry for the long post!

ConureCrazy

Jun 13, 2012
Media
California
Parrots
Senegal: Oliver ~~
Yellow-Sided GCC's: Bella and Zora ~~
R.I.P Tweeters the Cockatiel<3
every bird goes through the buffing stage after they have been weaned

Really? :confused: I didn't think so... Do you mean... the fledging stage? Maybe? Not every bird goes through it, I am sure. Or am I wrong? :confused: I respectfully disagree, but if I'm wrong gladly correct me. :)

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
When is the Bluffing stage meant to happen? Jax is 17months old and I haven't noticed any change in him up to now.

Thingamagigs

Oct 13, 2012
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Mana the manic female galah; yet to be named male corella
every bird goes through the buffing stage after they have been weaned

Really? :confused: I didn't think so... Do you mean... the fledging stage? Maybe? Not every bird goes through it, I am sure. Or am I wrong? :confused: I respectfully disagree, but if I'm wrong gladly correct me. :)

i'm pretty shore??? it could be the fledging stage??? correct me if i'm wrong:confused: some birds are more nipperer then others thoughh in the nipping stage...

You mean Bluffing?

No. Not all birds go through a "bluffing stage" but its good to assume they will and be prepared for it :) I think "bluffing stage" is reserved for birds such as IRN who get moody at adolescence... I am not sure how old they are when this happens. You can't know in advance how moody your bird will get but its good to be prepared for the possibility that it could happen anywhere in your birds life.
All babies go through a mouthy stage because birds use their beak as a hand... they taste everything, bite everything and test their boundries... but its not "bluffing" its just using their beak to explore. Their parents and siblings would set the boundries for them when they bite too hard.
Their mouthiness depends on the species and individual :)

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
If Green Cheek Conures are available and you can get a handfed baby, that might be an option...

Marley69

Nov 9, 2012
Cali
Parrots
Blue and gold macaw
African gray
2 ring necks
I wouldnt recomend a IRN if ur a begginer, i think a sunconure might be a good one :) NOT all IRN talk so have that in mind if thats the reason why u want one, they do get very nippy at times even if they are hand raised they also are mean O chewers so would need lots of toys because he will make em in chips lol they are also good flyers even tho u clipped their wings, i bought a harness for mine but he hated it, it was so hard to put it on lol
But good thing about them is that they are fast learners, speacially to mimic sounds, they star talking at around 18 months i believe and thatz if u spend
Enough time talking to them and reapeting words u want him to learn... Good luck :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts