Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
Your amazon looks at you and their lower eyelid moves up about 1/3 of the way up as they look at you? It looks sweet, like an admiring look, but who knows if I'm right!

bruce

May 1, 2012
Parrots
african grey 04/12/2011, ,canaries, finches, golfish,cats, Jack Russell terrier, turtle
i owned two amazons in the past, and yes they can speak to you with their eyes,
my late blue front used to flutter his eyes when i spoke sweet words to him, and whenever i walked
in the room holding ice cream his eyes would lite up as he knew he would be in for a treat,
i know your right ! :rainbow1:

KellyH

Feb 14, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Currently bird less.
It usually means they are relaxed and comfortable around you. Unless their eyes stay like that all day. Then it could mean an infection in their nares/sinuses.

Mare Miller

Banned
Banned
May 14, 2011
Media
sierra foothills of central California
Parrots
13yr. old male umbrella cockatoo,
we call him Amigo!

7yr. old Goffin cockatoo, she IS Sassy!!
My only experience with an Amazon was at our neighbor's house in Baja. He lived there at least 6 months of the year and brought his bird, Pete, with him. This bird had a defect in his wing and couldn't fly so Pete would climb down from his cage, walk across the floor to where I was sitting and proceeded to scare the wooty out of me by making his pupils really large, then very small! I've learned on this forum that this is called pinning. A bad thing, right? You want to be taking avoidance measures?

OP
B

Beako_N_Kiwi

Mar 28, 2012
California
Parrots
Our Rescues:

Beako - age 22- Yellow Crowned Amazon

Kiwi - age 9 - Yellow Naped Amazon

Paco - age 28 - Yellow Naped/Yellow Crowned
Definitely watch out for pinning. What I was talking about it a kind of sweet look, hard to explain!

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
My only experience with an Amazon was at our neighbor's house in Baja. He lived there at least 6 months of the year and brought his bird, Pete, with him. This bird had a defect in his wing and couldn't fly so Pete would climb down from his cage, walk across the floor to where I was sitting and proceeded to scare the wooty out of me by making his pupils really large, then very small! I've learned on this forum that this is called pinning. A bad thing, right? You want to be taking avoidance measures?

Pinning could be a bad thing, but it may not be. Birds (especially 'zons) pin their eyes when they are overly excited about something AND they pin their eyes when they are aggressive. So, you never really know!

lizardsmells

Dec 2, 2011
Eastern panhandle of WV
Parrots
Kazi - 13 yr old yellow nape amazon rescue
Kazi does this. It's his "I really love you right now" look. He does when I'm sweet talking him and telling him he's my little buddy bird and my favorite green parrot and other nonsense. I think as long as it's not an all day thing it's a good sign they're relaxing and settling in and bonding. If they're doing it all day I'd be apt to think they were sick!

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
* Rosie*Rose Breasted Galah
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
My Zon used to do that with his eyes , but would talk right after.
I was told when they did that they are about to talk , and that's what the two
birds I had with my ex hubby did. So I'm not so sure it's all bad when they
do that. JMO.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
I forgot to add that both Zons were very friendly during this time too.

KatherineI

Mar 27, 2012
Media
Seattle, WA
Parrots
Loki (GCC) Sugar (Goffins)
From everything that I know, pinning is usually a good thing. My Grey's would learn new words when they were pinning. To us, it meant that they were listening intently. I never knew it could be a sign of aggression.

luvmytooo

Dec 22, 2011
New York
Parrots
*Yoshi* Goffins Cockatoo
*Stella*Hyacinth Macaw
*Baby*Catalina Macaw

*Multiple Parakeets*
Let me clarify exactly what I mean. My birds pupils would dialate when they were about to talk. Is that the same as pinning ?

Most Reactions

Latest posts