What does your bird smell like?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Not when it’s wet, but normally.

My old Quaker used to smell like cookies. Not as nice as a Pionus (honey) but close.

Willow Quaker smells almost floral, like a mild geranium or grass smell! I have no idea why. If anything in my apartment smells, it’s naturally that way (like a flowering plant). He likes to snuggle with my nose and right now is grooming my eyelashes and eyebrows. Likely he will start yanking on my eyelashes and we will take a break.

I am not sure what Jasper smells like. I would have to be careful of my nose. But when they are wet they all smell like wet chicken.

Last edited:

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Not when it’s wet, but normally.

My old Quaker used to smell like cookies. Not as nice as a Pionus (honey) but close.

Willow Quaker smells almost floral, like a mild geranium or grass smell! I have no idea why. If anything in my apartment smells, it’s naturally that way (like a flowering plant). He likes to snuggle with my nose and right now is grooming my eyelashes and eyebrows. Likely he will start yanking on my eyelashes and we will take a break.

I am not sure what Jasper smells like. I would have to be careful of my nose. But when they are wet they all smell like wet chicken.
I guess now that I think about it they all have their own smell, my GCC sort of seems scent free, I just smelled him to see, he likes to cuddle against my face all the time. My QP he doesn't like me to put my face that close to him yet he's allowed to stand on my head or try and perch on my glasses, I'll have to see what he smells like. My budgies all smell the same, like vegetables I guess? The cockatiels smell like that too except more like dusty veggies :LOL:

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I rescued a blind and plucked bird many years ago. When I first got him he was stinky! He smelled like rancid oil and smoke and bird BO. No wonder he was tearing his feathers out! I washed him carefully twice with baby shampoo that first night and I thought he would hate me but he didn’t want me to let him go. He was such a wonderful bird. I still think of him, but he would have been very very old now.

Willow likes to sit with his beak on my nose. I think I am supposed to also have a beak in his mind. He likes to press against my nose or cheeks and rrr. Or I snuggle my nose into his neck feathers and give him a kiss. I wish people knew how affectionate and smart birds are. I have bird withdrawal if I’m away more than a few days. There must be something addictive in that scent of feathers .

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
o have noticed when happy and cuddling they give off a scent that's hard to describe. So I settle for calling it warm hugs.
My Ta-dah the GCC its stronger.
I stick my nose in the neck fluffy of the quakers , its such a warm fuzzy smell.

Wet burds yucky!

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Birds SMELL SO DAMNED GOOD. PEOPLE SHOULD MAKE BIRD PERFUME!
I AM SO ADDICTED TO THE SMELL OF BIRBS AND I HAVE GOOD REASON FOR THAT
They smell like a mixture of seed, popcorn, and bananas.
Anyone who has says birds smell bad has never lived to see the light of day.

D

Deleted member 42416

I think my birbies smell β€œearth dusty” : even Hazel. Except when her undercarriage is in need of a bath (about weekly). By a week post bath the bottom end smells like belly-button. (She can’t preen that area so she can’t help it). πŸ˜„

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Poor baby. You could try baby shampoo if she gets grimy. I have had disabled birds that I had to clean, too, and that’s what I used.

How is Hazel doing? I felt so sad for you and her when Kevin had his accident. I’m happy to help you build any devices she might need. Would send a photo of Lucy riding in my infinity scarf but it is trapped on my tablet which won’t charge up. The scarf really let me take Lucy many places easily.

D

Deleted member 42416

Poor baby. You could try baby shampoo if she gets grimy. I have had disabled birds that I had to clean, too, and that’s what I used.

How is Hazel doing? I felt so sad for you and her when Kevin had his accident. I’m happy to help you build any devices she might need. Would send a photo of Lucy riding in my infinity scarf but it is trapped on my tablet which won’t charge up. The scarf really let me take Lucy many places easily.
She’s doing great! She can walk/toddle around, climb, and even has done some flying (just a few feet)! I just get a soak in a warm bath and that does great to get the undercarriage clean. She has absolutely amazed me. Still not interested in coming off formula, will peck at pellet mushies, but not ingesting enough to wean.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Love this thread!

I'll bet that a very seasoned and experienced bird-person could identify most birds just with a sniff

Patagonian Conures? Not much smell unless you really snuggle your nose right up under their wings... and then... they smell like chocolate bar wrappers. Not the chocolate, not just candy wrappers, but chocolate wrappers. A good ol' plain Hershey Bar wrapper, the inner foil part, will do it!

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Salty usually doesn't have much of a smell to him, EXCEPT when he is feeling very happy or contented and he smells like Christmas Cookies!
Mmm Pionus parrots.

I have a sweet spot for Pionus. They are so quietly beautiful, like colors in shadows, and they smell like honey.

Bronze wings and blue headed Pionus are showier but they’re all gorgeous. And their big soft eyes too…. Such sweet birds.

Most Reactions

Latest posts