What happened to Taca?

OP
JonJon

JonJon

Jun 13, 2017
I found the 'thanks' button today so was able to thank you all properly. Thank you all for your kind words and wisdom. I've learned in the last couple of days that even if you're later than you could have been to find them, parrot communities are amazing places full of knowledge and love and I feel much better for finding them.

I still don't know what happened to Taca. At this moment, I'm even inclined to believe that he was always ill (one sibling never developed at all and died and his other two are much bigger) and our love kept him going for as long as it could. In searching, however, I've learned so much more and I know exactly the places to find whatever else it may be that I need in the meantime. So thanks again everybody.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You are very welcome. Our forum has specialty sections for every stage of a parrot's life, and sadly this is the one that sparks dread every time I log in.

It is also possible you did everything correctly with Taca, but a genetic issue or congenital problem caused him to pass. I believe it is beneficial to review every possible cause, but in the absence of concrete evidence, give yourself the benefit of every doubt.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Yesterday I made a donation in Taca's name, to the Cornell Vet College, specifically to be used for parrot related studies and programs. Taca will be remembered.

OP
JonJon

JonJon

Jun 13, 2017
Scott - Thank you. I think that's what I needed to hear. I've read a lot from people who learned and did everything and took every single precaution and still lost their little ones. I'd like to believe that I did enough and that my love gave him the strength to live longer than he should have - that it gave him wings, if you like.

wrench13 - What can I say? That's the most unexpected and kind thing that I can imagine. Thank you so very much for doing that. I never had pictures of him on my social media profiles as he was a rescue of sorts and here in Brazil would have been illegal. I didn't want him to be taken from us and abandoned somewhere as he was found. He's everywhere now and, thanks to you, in one more place as well. He was in all our hearts anyway :)

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
Thanks for your kind words plumsmum2005. If they were the early signs, and they 100% were in my opinion, then I could do no more. We live in a small town in Brazil and I called 2 hours after that. Even if I had those 2 hours back, he still could have gotten to us no sooner. Also, a vet here is a bit different to a vet in the US or UK (where I'm from) and so there was no chance to speed things up or go elsewhere. I read earlier, btw, that Pionus parrots are prone to respiratory infections and that sometimes, no matter how good the care, they do catch them and they do show no signs until the end. I'm taking a bit of comfort from that as well as your kind words. Not sure if I'd like another one just yet. He was my first proper pet and I guess I haven't learnt that I can get another bird and think of him or her as a new experience and not just as a replacement for someone irreplaceable.
Something to keep in mind, livestock vets can be a good place if there are no avian specialty vets available.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
JonJon, this is such a sorrowful take, and it's hard not knowing what happened. Birds hide their illnesses - my vet says one day they can be eating and playing and being completely normal, and the next morning be dead at the bottom of the cage. I'm glad you came back to tell us. Even if you don't have a parrot, you are so welcome to stay with us. I love hearing about other folk's birds and learning ways to help parrots.

MySweetJess

Feb 17, 2017
Gloversville, NY
Although about 1200 pounds heavier than your sweet Taca, Barbaro the race horse's death back in 2006, was just thinking about the owners at the press conference after he had to be put to sleep after his long battle. His owner Mrs. Jackson barely made out her words "The price of love is grief." Please don't second guess yourself to death. Taca is out of pain and resting in peace. There's a youtube video I keep watching and it's a good one if you need to, just go to youtube and put in search "Robert Smith pet grief." He's got his Irish cap on, is standing by the sea in Ireland and what he says will ease your burden, if you're interested. Or just know all of us here are with you at all times.

Most Reactions

Latest posts