Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Derbyans are every bit as gorgeous as Alexes! :) Love the purples.

IMO, ALL birds in the Psittacula genus are some of the most beautiful parrots there are! They're not too hands on though, but make nice buddies to hang out with.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
The only thing better than an Alexandrine is a pair of Alexandrines.

The only thing better than a pair of them is a phloque! :D :D :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have an Alex, and I think he is fantastic!!
I also think that the Derbyans are gorgeous as well.

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
I also have an Alex so I might be a bit bias. My vote is for the Alex but i had not heard of a Derbyan. So I googled and they are gorgeous as well.

OP
Tay2000

Tay2000

Mar 29, 2014
Western Australia
Parrots
Rio- Alexandrine parrot
:32:I just wanted to see the differences in personality:)) but I am still loving the Alex's !! :D

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I don't think there's tons of real significant difference besides the looks. I think their vocalizations are probably similar to the Alexes since they're similar in size and the same genus. I know they're heavy chewers, but I believe all Psittacula parakeets are. Derbyan's typically don't like to be touched.

I know two bird stores by me (same owner), that have older ones (Derbyan's) that are like the store 'mascot' now because they haven't sold. Particular who holds them, and no petting. They are beautiful, but not "cuddly babies" that most people want.

Most Reactions