What is this parrot?! (picture)

008kenichijouji

Sep 27, 2012
Midwest
Parrots
Disney---Sun conure
I haven't posted anything in a long time, but this is driving me crazy! I tried searching every species I could think of, and I can't figure out what kind of parrot is in this picture (at least, I can't find any other images that look quite like this). Here is the picture:

pumpkin-bird-treats.jpg

Does anyone else know??

Echo

Dec 7, 2009
USA
Parrots
Green Cheek Conures, Crimson Conures, CAG, Pionus, Budgies, Goffin Cockatoo
Vasa parrot ?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
One of the weirdest parrot species out there, IMO... so unique, yet odd... they don't have shiny feathers like many parrot species and are about the size of a grey, only more slender. Males have a hemi-penis and hens go bald during mating season.

Local bird store used to have a female vasa - Nova. She became so hormonal she was finally sent to a breeder and paired with a male - I think.

KeroRocks

Feb 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Parrots
Sheldon-M- GCC |
Cooper -F--Yellow sided GCC | Dori -F- Blue Quaker | Marley -M- Sun Conure | Kero -M- Hahn's Macaw | Sam-M- CAG
|Yara -F- RFM | Boo -F- Red Rump parakeet
There is a VASA female at a pet store near me. Interesting bird. The head goes bald at mating time, and is bright red. The male has a visible hemi penis which is VERY weird to see on a bird.

Definately a Vasa

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Vasa's are actually pretty interesting.

Years ago, there was an escaped pet Vasa that was loose in my neighborhood, so I got to know the owner, and the bird's male mate fairly well. They're very quirky birds. But very fun!

That particular bird ended up hooking up with a flock of crows. The crows would come around to my feeders each day. The first day it happened I was cleaning my cages, and had the entire flock outside. Imagine my surprise when one of the "crows" started talking to me...

Anyway, the owner would hang out at my place around the time the crows came every day, and bring the bird's mate, hoping to recover her...

Sadly, this tale did not have a happy ending.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
There is a VASA female at a pet store near me. Interesting bird. The head goes bald at mating time, and is bright red. The male has a visible hemi penis which is VERY weird to see on a bird.

Definately a Vasa

Only the females' heads go bald. I was researching them for a pet. I think they're awesome. The lady that can get one for me wants $2500 though. They're very primitive parrots, as they are part raptor, and they eat meat. They're from Madagascar.

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
There is a pair of them at the aquarium in Charleston, SC in the Madagascar section.

Maria_Metropolis

Nov 12, 2013
Parrots
White Face Cinnamon Pearl Pied Cockatiel - "Muffin"

Hatch Date: October 4th, 2013
RIP July 4, 2014
They kind of remind me of a black red tailed Cockatoo.

Most Reactions

Latest posts