Bed bugs -___-

Tara

Jun 28, 2013
Ontario
Parrots
Millie, SI eclectus
So it's come to my attention that after living bed bug free in an apartment building with them, I've finally gotten the dreaded bed bugs. ): problem is, my pets! My eclectus' cage is in my bedroom because I can keep the cat out of there during the day. How long does the apartment have to air out from the fumigation before its safe for them, especially with my bird in the bedroom? I was thinking I could get a travel cage and we might have to live in a hotel for a bit.

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
I have no clue but think a few days. How do you know that you have bed bugs

OP
T

Tara

Jun 28, 2013
Ontario
Parrots
Millie, SI eclectus
Because I just found them. ): a friend slept over and was eaten alive. I never get bitten, or if I do, it doesn't show.

JoeR

Aug 8, 2013
North Carolina, USA
Parrots
2 Cockatiels
1 Quaker
Fumigation is not too effective on bedbugs. The latest treatment process is to heat the house/living space to 140F. It kills the bedbugs and their eggs. Of course you'll have to remove anything that won't survive those temps, but you'll be rid of them. Talk to an exterminator that specializes in bedbugs, and my experience is to avoid the National chains. They are often staffed by circus clowns, not that there's anything wrong with clowns, unless you are relying on them to cure your infestation.

Joe

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I would take my parrot out of there till the problem is resolved.
I think they can bite your parrot too. They go to the source of blood.......:eek:.
Can you take your bird to your relatives or friends temporarily?
Please, keep in mind that you most likely taking bugs with you where ever you go. They are very clever and place themselves into purses, clothing, shoes, etc.......:eek:
It's a very serious problem, unfortunately very common lately and very difficult to deal with......:mad:....specially in the apartment buildings.....:(
Wish you luck and a quick resolution to this unfortunate situation.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
I watched a episode of the show infested which involved bed bugs, they spend tons of money trying different methods to get rid of the bed bugs, only thing that worked was heating the house up to 140F as said above.

OP
T

Tara

Jun 28, 2013
Ontario
Parrots
Millie, SI eclectus
All of my friends and relatives have lots of very large and loud dogs. Millie has never met one before, let alone multiple ones barking at all times of the day. I've only had her for a month and I think too much change too soon might really freak her out. The land lords won't cover the expense of a heat treatment (1000$) and because its an apartment building they'd just crawl through the walls to my neighbours. The sprays are done every 2 weeks which means she and I will have to find a new home until Christmas.

In the mean time... Are bed bugs harmful to parrots? Can they actually bite her?

MenomaMinx

Oct 20, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
Kumiko the Calico Macaw DNA sexed female 8 years old:On her second month as a service animal–I'm very proud of her:-)
Diatomaceous earth kills any waxy shelled insect by slicing them open and this results in dehydrating them three days – usually less – and that includes bedbugs. It's incredibly cheap and usually sold in the pool section, the gardening section, or the insecticide section of big chains like Walmart, Lowe's, etc. you can also get food grade diatomaceous earth, which is slightly more expensive than eight dollars US a rather large bags usually costs, and is often added to foods in other countries not the US. The worst it can do to anyone is dry out their skin where it makes contact – that includes the family pets – perfectly safe :)

There's an over-the-counter (normally used as antifungal) health store type thing that can be taken orally safely and that kills any bedbug that bite anyone who's ingested it-- got to look for the name for this one, because it slips my mind the moment, so I'll get back to you on it.

Cockroaches eat bedbugs – they cannot coexist in the same environment. If you are currently treating your house for cockroaches, and fear bedbugs, stop for a little while and let nature take its course.

In the meantime, it's not necessary to cook your house.

The sprays don't work. The sprays are dangerous. The bugs develop immunities to the sprays over time.

Please don't put gasoline on your furniture(common home remedy in Trenton, which not only doesn't work, but is extremely dangerous).

I've got a longer list, but you get the idea.

Also, boil any loose fabric you fear they might have gotten into – that includes those large Afghan hand crochet/knitted family heirlooms type things that nobody ever washes. That was the only spot my friend overlooked when she first had to deal with them, and it finally ended.

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
I tried the diatomaceous earth and the ants just crawled over and through it. :-(

MenomaMinx

Oct 20, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
Kumiko the Calico Macaw DNA sexed female 8 years old:On her second month as a service animal–I'm very proud of her:-)
People said bedbugs, not ants.

I have a something that works better for ants – garlic. I mean the fresh stuff. They can't stand it.

Cinnamon sticks are supposed to work too, by don't have experience working with those.

OP
T

Tara

Jun 28, 2013
Ontario
Parrots
Millie, SI eclectus
I got the inspectors in. Fleas and bed bugs. I guess that's what you get for living in an apartment building downtown

MenomaMinx

Oct 20, 2013
New Jersey
Parrots
You have the legal right to request alternate means of Extermination, which is not the same as refusing extermination.

You don't have to let them fumigate with chemicals within your legal rights.

Abigal7

Jun 17, 2012
United States of America/ Kansas
Parrots
Captain Jack (Hahn's macaw)

Clover (green cheek conure)
Correct me if I am wrong but I think the most effective way know to kill bed bugs was extreme heat. Heat enough to not only kill your bird but most likely other animals too. I should know first hand about extreme heat after going through the experience of my ac breaking and blowing hot air. I heard it was expensive. They will get in any cracks possible. On infested two camp counselors who camp was infested decided to learn how to use the machines that uses to produce extreme heat (in order to do it cheaper). One family built their own hear furnace machine to kill the bugs. People had to take steam appliances and chemicals and treat every single crack. They even had to have specially trained dogs inspect for bedbugs.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
I watched that infested show too about bed bugs. It give me the ₩~£% £% ₩~........I started flipping my mattress in the middle of the night checking for that stuff....my partner thought I've gone to the deep end....lol.....I've had spiders crawling on my face while sleeping before, did not like that one bit...most of the time my cats would kill off the spiders before they ever reach the bed. But bed bugs really gross me out.....:eek::eek::eek:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I really don't think that diatomaceous earth is very effectve against bed bugs, even if you were to spread it over the entire floor and furniture.

Bed bugs are like a creature out of a mad scientists lab.... and the two best methods of killing them is using heat or cold treatments... heat being best as it only needs to be 120° F or higher for several hours during the day compared to the cold treatment which is recommended to be 0° F or colder for a minimum of 1-2 weeks, if not longer... and considering they can live over a year without food while also being resistant to pesticides, it's no surprise they can be so difficult to get rid of...

Most Reactions