What on earth is a TOP’s Snob?

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I have heard people say this too many times in discord servers, r/parrots, and facebook groups! What on earth could it possibly mean?! Is it like, someone who worships TOPs or something? Or is it someone who acts high an mighty because they feed TOPs?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I have heard people say this too many times in discord servers, r/parrots, and facebook groups! What on earth could it possibly mean?! Is it like, someone who worships TOPs or something? Or is it someone who acts high a mighty because they feed TOPs?
I think it means someone who exclusively uses something or likes something.
Meaning TOPs will always be their go-to pellet?
I’ve heard a certain someone claiming to be an Amazon snob ahem @SailBoat 🤭
I guess you could call me a green cheek snob 😅

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
I have heard people say this too many times in discord servers, r/parrots, and facebook groups! What on earth could it possibly mean?! Is it like, someone who worships TOPs or something? Or is it someone who acts high an mighty because they feed TOPs?
Taken literally, it would mean they believe themselves to be high and mighty because they use TOPs. But I would imagine they are saying it in jest to mean that they really like TOPs.

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Taken literally, it would mean they believe themselves to be high and mighty because they use TOPs. But I would imagine they are saying it in jest to mean that they really like TOPs.
Ohh okay, that makes more sense! I was beginning to think “man, there are enough turds that think they are a god for feeding a certain brand of pellet that a whole term had to be made?” Which I suppose is partially true lol

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Seems about right according to Cindy! I guess I am a bird snob!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I agree, when I hear "I'm an xyz snob" to me that means you're extra interested and think xyz is the best. To me it's different than someone saying "that person is a snob".

I wish my parrot wasn't such an anti TOPS snob :D :D :D I'd still feed a different pellet with Vit D added because I live in Minnesota, but there are so many good greens in TOPS! For being a bright green bird, he really hates green food LOL

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
I agree, when I hear "I'm an xyz snob" to me that means you're extra interested and think xyz is the best. To me it's different than someone saying "that person is a snob".

I wish my parrot wasn't such an anti TOPS snob :D :D :D I'd still feed a different pellet with Vit D added because I live in Minnesota, but there are so many good greens in TOPS! For being a bright green bird, he really hates green food LOL
I suppose I am a snob of most things! Birds, South Park, beds, food, drinks, etc. I guess I really like a lot of things!

Haha green birb doesn’t like green food! Just do a little bippity boppity boo and turn it blue!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I don't like it when people refer to themselves as snobs of anything. They may not mean it this way but it implies self-superiority. It's just not a good look. Better to say "devotee" "lover" or something else less "haughty".

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I don't like it when people refer to themselves as snobs of anything. They may not mean it this way but it implies self-superiority. It's just not a good look. Better to say "devotee" "lover" or something else less "haughty".
It does come across with negative connotations.
So many changes recently in the English language.
If the term snob Is being used in such a different context perhaps it’s definition is expanding/changing.
Like..

When did the pound sign “#” become “hashtag “.
When did the period “.” Become “dot”
Why do I hear repeated on tv people saying “me and Jason”
When I went to school it was “Jason and I”

I am just an old fuddy duddy that doesn’t like change.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)

It doesn't have that connotation to me at all, it seems lighthearted when someone calls themself a 'whatever' snob. I believe that real snobs would not ever want to use that word in connection with themselves.
Just shows that we're all different in how we perceive things:)

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
It doesn't have that connotation to me at all, it seems lighthearted when someone calls themself a 'whatever' snob. I believe that real snobs would not ever want to use that word in connection with themselves.
Just shows that we're all different in how we perceive things:)
I like to err on the side of inoffensive.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I like to err on the side of inoffensive.
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and not assume they mean something that they don't.
I don't offend easily.
We just have different perceptions and ways of dealing with things.

Cindylynn

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Apr 7, 2022
Media
Albums
Can't remember who it was, maybe my Granny, but a wise person told me, "Offense is the bait of satan". The older I get and the more I see, that phrase comes to mind more often and holds so much truth! Thick skin and a soft heart is a pretty good combo to try for in life!

OP
Rico_Tiel

Rico_Tiel

Oct 21, 2022
Media
Ur mom’s car
Parrots
Ricochet - Cockatiel
Cricket - Budgie
Can't remember who it was, maybe my Granny, but a wise person told me, "Offense is the bait of satan". The older I get and the more I see, that phrase comes to mind more often and holds so much truth! Thick skin and a soft heart is a pretty good combo to try for in life!
That makes things click more. No wonder those who takes offense to everything are so miserable.

Most Reactions

Latest posts