What should I change about my cage?

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Skye, Cloud, Beep, Lilac - American budgies
Just wanting to gather some opinions about my cage. I plan on going out later today and I want to get some things for them! Also, how should I rearrange the items in here as well? I've tried to space it out a bit to let them use their wings and exercise a bit more, but should the perches be closer? Thanks! (**the air conditioner behind the cage is NOT in use**)
25ed31c1098762bfa6d41e02fb496170.jpg
4ef7579121021cc8abe11dd4dd23cfd3.jpg
569f6ffa5df9ffcb7a38f0485a61ea3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Note: sorry about the sideways pictures... it must be something about the size of my phones pictures.

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
The look lovely and colourful! If I had that set up and was off to the shops, I'd switch out those dowel perches for other kinds. I see you have imitation branch & rope perches, maybe add a concrete or pumice grooming perch? The other fun thing I might look for were wee budgie sized shredding toys, although it may be easier to find the bits and bobs to make you own.
Have fun!

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
The look lovely and colourful! If I had that set up and was off to the shops, I'd switch out those dowel perches for other kinds. I see you have imitation branch & rope perches, maybe add a concrete or pumice grooming perch? The other fun thing I might look for were wee budgie sized shredding toys, although it may be easier to find the bits and bobs to make you own.
Have fun!
Ok! I just went out and got a few things. I'll post my updated set out once I'm done putting it in

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Have fun!
Ok! I just went out and got a few things. I'll post my updated set out once I'm done putting it in

Ok! I'm not nearly done yet, but I've gotten gotten an exercise perch and another imitation to replace one of the dowels, along with other rearrangements. I plan on getting another rope perch to replace the other dowel and some toys that they can tear apart. I might try some DIY toys, too, just for fun!
c1956bec8772eeca2cf8f0e292163a48.jpg
285736941c9ba0e06a7721c6aac477da.jpg
ae78062a4ddf2676665779b4374577b5.jpg

itchyfeet

Nov 1, 2014
Middle Earth
Parrots
Ethyl the cockatiel, Henry & Clarke the IRN's, and Skittles the lovebird (my daughters)
Awesome!
Have a wee google for DIY shreddable and foraging toys for small birds. Cheaper to make them - so more toys for less dollars. You can tailor them to suit the way your bird plays, and the colours to match the decor lol :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Man I hate your second post.....! I was reading and saying to myself how about putting it right side up! Oh well.

I have the same purple mirror and abacus ladder clark likes them.

Maybe it's just the pictures, hard to tell, but why is the lowest perch so far away from the food cups? I have mine close so clark can grab his pellet then walk over and dunk it and then eat it. it's like the bird has to fly over to eat or drink. On purpose?

I'd move the lowest perch much closer. Also in the picture you have budgies? not a sun conure...update your parrot list on your profile. Also with budgies they need more millet...because that is like crack.

I do like the cuttlebone on the concrete style perch....should get a lot of use.

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Man I hate your second post.....! I was reading and saying to myself how about putting it right side up! Oh well.

I have the same purple mirror and abacus ladder clark likes them.

Maybe it's just the pictures, hard to tell, but why is the lowest perch so far away from the food cups? I have mine close so clark can grab his pellet then walk over and dunk it and then eat it. it's like the bird has to fly over to eat or drink. On purpose?

I'd move the lowest perch much closer. Also in the picture you have budgies? not a sun conure...update your parrot list on your profile. Also with budgies they need more millet...because that is like crack.

I do like the cuttlebone on the concrete style perch....should get a lot of use.
Ah, um... sorry about that... I had no way to adjust the pictures after I posted them. the bottom perch is actually within stepping/hopping distance from the bottom perch, i assume the angle at which i took the pics make it look different. Not to mention I've scooted the perch closer after I re arranged. The only time they have to fly is to get to the top of the cage, which is for the most part on purpose because it gives them exercise and is attune to their natural instinct. And they love millet to death! LOL a whole millet stalk is gone within just half an hour sometimes lmao. But I do have to give these things to them in moderation for that reason.

(Also, thanks for the reminder on the profile. Ever since sammy has left I haven't been as active on the forums, so I forgot about that.)

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Some pretty good news! The exercise perch has proved to be a great addition. Cloud has loved playing with the mirror and eating the cuttlebone and hanging snack. Skye is still a little sketched out by the perch itself, but I'm sure he will eventually be tempted by the things around it to step onto it. The other imitation perch is also a new favored perch. I love making them happy! This weekend, I'll go out and get another rope perch to replace the dowel at the bottom as well as some shredding toys. I'm also eager to try out some DIY toys I've found on the web.

5fcd53799d5b963800b920000eb2f993.jpg
856cbce356b4fb025436d4730e8e19b8.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Agree with different/more perches and toys!

I don't recommend mirrors and the "grooming perch" should not be the highest perch in the cage. Otherwise, it's looking better and better!

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
Agree with different/more perches and toys!

I don't recommend mirrors and the "grooming perch" should not be the highest perch in the cage. Otherwise, it's looking better and better!
Oh, I've read some things on mirrors but I can never really get a straight answer on the subject. I've kind of met in the middle and just added the one mirror as they do enjoy it, but I watch to make sure they aren't getting too attached to it. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to one bird though, unless it's out of the cage most of the time... but I can definitely remove it if it still doesn't seem like a good idea! Also, I have moved the grooming perch a little bit below the uppermost rope perch, thanks for the advice!

Thanks all as well! I really appreciate the help given so far. Any further input will be a great help, too!

Squeekmouse

May 31, 2017
Illinois
Parrots
Yoda, Green Cheek Conure - Trigger, Congo African Grey
Looks great to me! It looks like his food bowl is at the bottom though, I'd suggest moving it up so it's less likely to get pooped in and more accessible. Also, swap his toys every couple of weeks and do some small re-arranging every so often to keep it fun and stimulating for him. That's just my 2 cents. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Oh, I've read some things on mirrors but I can never really get a straight answer on the subject. I've kind of met in the middle and just added the one mirror as they do enjoy it, but I watch to make sure they aren't getting too attached to it. I definitely wouldn't recommend it to one bird though, unless it's out of the cage most of the time... but I can definitely remove it if it still doesn't seem like a good idea! Also, I have moved the grooming perch a little bit below the uppermost rope perch, thanks for the advice!

Mirrors can cause unhealthy obsessions, aggression and even abnormal behaviors. If a single bird becomes too attached to their mirror friend, they may not interact well with a new bird because the new bird doesn't act or react like the mirror bird does.

I don't even recommend mirrors in a flock situation as one bird could always choose to interact more with the mirror buddy than the rest of the flock.... or in a pair situation, the two birds could interact more with their reflections than with each other.

So overall, I just don't recommend them.

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots

Mirrors can cause unhealthy obsessions, aggression and even abnormal behaviors. If a single bird becomes too attached to their mirror friend, they may not interact well with a new bird because the new bird doesn't act or react like the mirror bird does.

I don't even recommend mirrors in a flock situation as one bird could always choose to interact more with the mirror buddy than the rest of the flock.... or in a pair situation, the two birds could interact more with their reflections than with each other.

So overall, I just don't recommend them.
Ah, that makes sense! I'll certainly remove it, then.

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
yes I've seen firsthand what mirrors can do and it's not a fun time. My step-dad's kakriki became dangerously obsessed over the mirror but only I seemed to care and bring it up but nobody ever listened and I was never allowed to take him out of the cage (why I don't know) the poor guy actually forgot how to fly despite not being clipped and would sit in front of the mirror with his head touching it staring constantly only moving to eat and drink which he did for years until he died despite my repeat protest that he needed to come out and be played with

OP
GlitchTown

GlitchTown

Mar 3, 2017
Parrots
yes I've seen firsthand what mirrors can do and it's not a fun time. My step-dad's kakriki became dangerously obsessed over the mirror but only I seemed to care and bring it up but nobody ever listened and I was never allowed to take him out of the cage (why I don't know) the poor guy actually forgot how to fly despite not being clipped and would sit in front of the mirror with his head touching it staring constantly only moving to eat and drink which he did for years until he died despite my repeat protest that he needed to come out and be played with
Oh, that's really sad... unfortunately "cage birds" happen much more often than it should. Yup, I've removed the mirror to avoid any obsessions from happening... better safe than sorry

Most Reactions

Latest posts