What Should I Get?!?!

slayor

Jan 1, 2007
Media
Im thinking of getting a Parrot. Im just doing reasherch, I want to know what are the bacics, will I need the cage to be big,or should i just get a plattform for it? What should i be afraid of happing? Mostly what porrat should I get. There is a baby Meya at a pet store it looks good is it a good beggeners bird???

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Re: What Shaould I Get?!?!

I have only had a bird for 11 days so I cant advise on much.
Maybe get a cheap docile bird and make sure you can commit the time it will need. If the workload outweighs the fun, you will both be very unhappy, very fast. Im not that fussed about you being unhappy, but the bird deserves better!
A cheap bird will love you just the same and train up just as good (within reason, dont buy a pigeon).
Maybe get a cage that will fit in with your lifestyle and budget. You can always go for a fancy cage later. As long as the bird is safe, clean and has room to move, its good enough for a start.
I dont know the best place to buy a bird. I got mine at 10 weeks old from an Avairy. I doubt a pet shop would sell you a sick bird, so it should be ok.
If you have an ethix problem, you may want to know if it was taken from the wild or hatched by a breeder.

Summery: a cheap docile trainable bird the wont financially ruin you if it all goes pear shaped.

**Disclaimer: This was written by a drunk Australian with no expertise in bird care whatsoever. All advice given, in any expicit or implied context, may or may not be complete bullshit.**

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006

and maybe a dictionary or spellchecker, but thats up to you. (sorry for the zinger at the end, Im going to feel really bad if it turns out your 8 years old or something).

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006

let me rephrase for you.
They are the only bird too scared to leave home.

karen

Nov 9, 2006
scotland
Parrots
one orange wing
Honey
Well I fostered my gal a month or so ago an orange winged gargoyle.

Be prepared for anything and everything. I had a dalmation once and I swear she has returned as a parrot to finish off the training she started.

Although training the three men in my family is the hardest. Roxy has taught them to sqwalk. Have to be careful what I type she is sitting reading this;)

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Hi and welcome to Parrot Forums

Its nice to hear you are doing research on this subject before going off and getting a bird. Look around at your surroundings, time commitments, etc. then look for a bird that will match your lifestyle. We are here to give as much help and advise as you need, Keep us all informed on your decision and we look forward to hearing all the latest news on how things are going for you. Good luck in your search.

Most Reactions