What Things Did You NOT Expect from Your Parrot?

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
I did not expect my sun conure to micromanage me when I'm typing. "Okay, that has been 450 words this session, I'll show you how to type faster because I need you to be done quicker." *tap tap tap tap with the beak and sits on the backspace key*

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
I did not expect Bumble to be so smart or so funny. I did not expect her to greet me with such enthusiasm every time I come home-almost as much wxcit. I did not expect her to express opinions so clearly. I did not expect her to chirp her way so deeply into my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Haha, what a great thread. Kevin has surprised me with his manipulation. Within 2 days he learned how to wave on command. It has progressed from a cute waving to a hyper wave when he wants to eat. Gone are the cute waves on demand! Feed me he says! Cue wave, wave, wave, wave, x100! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Billdore

Nov 12, 2016
Vermont
Parrots
African Grey Timneh
I didnt expect Timneh to be a velcro bird. I didn't expect her to demand snuggles before bed. I didn't expect to have to spoon feed mashed to her every night, someone hates her veggies. I didn't expect to find a parrot community, so helpful and supportive, and so much a part of my everyday life. Thanks everyone

ChristaNL

Banned
Banned
May 23, 2018
NL= the Netherlands, Europe
Parrots
Sunny a female B&G macaw;
Japie (m) & Appie (f), both are congo african grey;
All are rescues- had to leave their previous homes for 'reasons', are still in contact with them :)
Well put Billdore!
(this really is a great place to be, also thanks to you! ;) )

I never expected to spend (any!) so much time with my fingers INSIDE a macaws beak!

Sunny is forever picking up a finger and inserting (one or several digits) in her huge maw.
That's fine, untill she starts the headbobbing (finger still held firm inside the nutcracker -> autch!)
and regurgitating (-> somewhat yuck! I appreciate the gesture, the sticky fingers...not so much...)

Bee.mu2

Aug 24, 2018
uk
Parrots
2 Indian Ring Necks - Male and Female 4-6months old
I didn't expect mine to take SOOOOO long to get used to toys etc. I figured it would be slow, but slow to me is like hyper-speed to the bird lol.

Also-I expected mine to love sweet fruits like pineapple, but that is not the case....
What else....oh- the bedtime routine that she has is very specific. She basically puts herself to bed- I just cover the cage like a good girl lol.

Thanks for the heads up RE the toys - 1 of my IRN's has taken a liking to some of the new toys, however the female is still very cautious. She is however, happy to munch on food from my hand - did not expect to feel so attached, so soon after owning them!! <3

Most Reactions