What to do?

Sulphiria

Banned
Banned
Mar 12, 2012
Deltona, Florida
As most of you know, a few weeks back I was eyeing a rainbow lorikeet. After getting the kids their tiel, I'm still thinking about that lory. Here's where im at a crossroads. We have a breeder about 2 1/2 hours from us. She sells green naped lories for 225$ each plus 75$ for weaning. (i would love to do this but have no idea how and think its best to leave to the pros) When i emailed her asking about babies, she said she might have one available, she needs to have them sexed to pair them up, then will let me know if there's one left. We have a cage, so thats not an issue.

On the flip side, the same guy who had his listed on craigslist still has it. He was originally asking 600$ and agreed to sell to me for 500$. Rainbow Lorikeet

He doesnt know the sex, he/she can talk and whistle, he said she is extremely friendly with everyone and loves to play. He has multiple cages and toys, plus 6 months of food for her.

What would you do? I have to admit the idea of a baby is great, but it would also be nice to skip the terrible 2s. I hate decisions. :31:

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
I don't know what they normally cost but you could do a check on birdbreeders.com if you haven't already.

But, you could also go meet the Rainbow and see if you hit it off with her before deciding. Babies are great, but birds also have long life spans, which is why I was looking to adopt older birds this time around.

MaraWentz

Banned
Banned
Mar 27, 2012
Media
St.Leonard, MD
Parrots
Red Front Macaw, Elvis, 10,male RIP

Red Front Macaw, Erin, 1.5,female

Goffin Cockatoo, Blossom 2,female Rehomed

Blue & Gold Macaw, Oscar, Male, 21 years old, Rehomed

American Bulldog Mix,
Meet both birds first. Some birds don't hit it off with every one. I had a Moluccan Cockatoo who loved every one, except my sister- who never even met it before! The only other issue I see is if there are any diseases. Dies the breeder test? I would hope so, but if not have both birds taken to the vet for a check up. Good luck with your choice!

Most Reactions